Life changes dramatically after we have babies and once you have adjusted to motherhood and managed to get your little one into a routine, many mums focus turns to their post baby body and what the best way is for them to lose some weight.
Firstly, the most important point to note is that no one should ever feel pressure to lose weight and although some mums feel ready to start losing weight a few months after the birth, many are not ready for a year or more after the birth. There is no one size fits all and you should only think about any weight loss when you feel 100% ready to do so – physically and mentally.
If you do decide that you want to lose some weight then it is crucial to do it in a healthy way. This means no crash diets, no drastic weigh loss, no weight loss pills and instead by following a healthy and safe weight loss plan. If you are breastfeeding it is also important to choose a diet plan that offers you a wide range of nutrients and does not cut out food groups of severely restricts calorie intake. Breastfeeding and weight loss is possible – providing you do it in a safe way and aim for approximately 500g – 1kg a week.
So what are our top tips for post pregnancy weight loss?
1) Find a diet plan that suits your lifestyle and be realistic with what you want to achieve and a timeframe which to achieve it
2) If you can breastfeed, this is a great way to give your baby great nutrients and to help you burn fat. Breastfeeding also burns approximately 500 calories a day
3) Swap all white breads, pasta and rice for wholegrain varieties
4) Throw out junk food so you are not tempted to eat it
5) Make sure you are eating good quality and lean protein each time you eat – think lean meats, dairy, nuts, fish, beans and tofu
6) Start to fit in incidental exercise into your day – such as doing some squats when you make a cup of tea
7) Make sure you are drinking enough water to keep your body hydrated and your digestion in good working order
8) Don’t skip meals and try to eat 5-6 times a day
9) Plan ahead so you have healthy foods to hand at all time
10) Increase your fibre which aids digestion and helps you feel fuller for longer
This article was written by Rhian Allen, Founder of Lose Baby Weight.
For more motivation, advice, recipes and safe post baby diet and exercise plans visit www.losebabyweight.com.au and for daily motivation join the Lose Baby Weight Facebook page at www.facebook.com/losebabyweight.com.au
Originally posted on our sister site www.babybargains.com.au