Warning: Some readers may find this content distressing.

Our hearts are breaking for the 11 families who are without their newborn babies after a fire tore through the neonatal unit of a hospital in Senegal.

The hospital fire, which was allegedly caused by a short circuit, spread quickly and 11 newborns who were in the neonatal unit perished in the fire.

Fire spread very quickly

The tragedy occurred at Mame Abdou Aziz Sy Dabakh Hospital in the transport hub of Tivaouane, about 75 miles east of Senegal’s capital city of Dakar

The President of Senegal, Macky Sall confirmed the heartbreaking news on Twitter just before midnight.

I have just learned with pain and dismay about the deaths of 11 newborn babies in the fire at the neonatal department of the public hospital.

To their mothers and their families, I express my deepest sympathy.”

What we know so far

We don’t know a lot of details about this horrific fire except that it was allegedly caused by a short circuit. The hospital – Mame Abdou Aziz Sy Dabakh Hospital – was also newly inaugurated.

According to Senegalese politician Diop Sy, the fire spread incredibly quickly and there was little time to rescue the infants. Three babies were saved. It is unknown if anyone else was killed or injured in the fire, including mothers in the maternity ward or any staff.

More to come 

What to read next

Author

We're passionate about connecting mums of all ages across our online network. From parenting articles to educational stories, recipes, giveaways and more, don't be shy, you're all welcome! We are also on the lookout for regular contributors or readers wishing to share their real life stories so contact us today!

Write A Comment