Great balls of cheesy fire! Does the thought of crunchy, golden and oozing cheese balls have your mouth watering and you hot-tailing it to the supermarket for a box? Save yourself the money and make your own at home – you won’t believe how easy it is to make this three-ingredient mozzarella cheese balls recipe!
Spotted on Facebook from the clever folk at Super Recipes, this mozzarella cheese balls recipe was just too good not to share. An indulgent snack or a fancy appetizer for your next ‘nibbles and drinks with friends – and there’s plenty of those nights ahead as we catapult into the festive season.
Mozzarella cheese balls – just THREE ingredients needed
You only need THREE (yes, three!) ingredients for this recipe to make 16 mozzarella cheese balls. But you MUST use a ball of mozzarella and not cheat by buying the pre-grated pack (you don’t want anything BUT mozzarella cheese and grated cheese tends to have added extras to keep it from clumping together). The good news is, you can pick up a 350g mozzarella ball at Woolworths for just $5.50 so it’s not too harsh on the budget. So be sure to throw one in your trolley next time you’re doing the groceries!
3 Ingredient Mozzarella Cheese Balls Recipe
Makes: 16 cheese balls
- 300g mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons of cornflour
- 1 large egg
- (vegetable or canola oil for frying)
1. Grate the ball of Mozzarella cheese!
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated mozzarella cheese, cornflour and the egg. Mix together well using a spoon. Using clean hands, knead the mixture together until it makes a smooth, soft dough.
3. Place the dough on a cutting board and shape it into a rectangle. Using a pizza cutter, slice it lengthways in half. And then each half into half again so you have four long strips. Cut the strips in half across the width and then each half, in half. You should have 16 squares similar in size.
4. Shape each square into a ball, rolling the dough between your hands.
5. Heat a pan of oil to around 175°C for frying. Do make sure you’re using a saucepan big enough that it won’t spill out when it bubbles up. No one wants nasty burns with their cheese balls! Once the oil has reached temperature, gently lower the cheese balls into the heated oil. Only cook four at a time so they can cook evenly.
6. Remove them from the saucepan when the cheeseballs reach a golden colour. Drain them on a paper towel and set them aside. If not eating them as they’re made, try keeping them warm in a low set air fryer so the inside remains nice and gooey while you cook the remaining batches.
7. Eat these mozzarella cheese balls straight away – ideally while they’re still hot, serving them with delicious garlic aioli or loose pizza sauce. HOLY CHEESE YUM! If you let them cool a little, they’ll still be delicious – they just won’t be as melty. And we all know that’s where the sweet spot is!
Just look at that oozing cheese melt! I dare you to tell me it’s not next-level good! Am I right? RIGHT. *nods head in agreeance*
What do you think? Are you a cheese lover and thinking about giving this mozzarella cheese balls recipe a go over the weekend? ME TOO. They look like perfect little morsels of weekend food to me!