Summer’s coming fast and that means it’s almost time to get back into bathers and hit the pool or beach. If the thought of squeezing into swimwear fills you with dread, here’s five easy summer confidence hacks that’ll have you feeling great, thanks to Honeybell Waterwear Cover Ups.
Fake it until you make it, right?
If you’re anything like us, those few extra kgs from stubborn baby weight or winter comfort noshing make the thought of stripping down for summer pretty scary!
Firstly, the most important thing every mum needs to know is that you are beautiful just as you are! That body has carried your babies and holds you up every single day. That’s truly amazing. But we totally get the dread of being on the beach and feeling very, very naked to the world.
So, here’s how to fake summer confidence and find yourself comfortable in swimwear in no time!
1. Get a Killer Cover-Up Like This One From Honeybell Waterwear!
For us, we can’t go past the Honeybell Waterwear UPF 50+ Beach Coverup. It’s a rashie made cool for mums. Cut to flatter, the fabric has brilliant sun-protecting properties and it’s available in stylish black or royal blue. With a waist tie to nip in and accent your curves, up-market gold button details and clean minimalist lines, this is the best you’ll ever feel by the pool!
You can actually wear this in the water. The fabric is quick drying, so it’s perfect for wading in the shallows while the kids frolic. Or wear it reclining on a sun lounge with a pina colada in hand. Trust us, either way, you’ll look and feel fabulous!
2. Get a UV Friendly Tan - ie a Fake One!
Everyone knows there’s nothing healthy about a tan, but a little bit of colour on the bod can certainly add to your confidence! The only healthy tan is a fake one so if you’re headed to the beach, try some DIY at home (we like Rimmel!) the night before or if you’re lucky enough to be off on an extended holiday, try a spray tan.
3. Get a Glam Hat
Okay so a hat is a totally sun-safe decision but there’s a few sneaky, fashion tricks that can be achieved with a hat. Firstly, a glamorous or on-trend choice will elevate your look to stylish and sophisticated. A light coloured hat with a dark band is perfect because it throws natural light around your face (as opposed to shadows) and a white hat atop a dark coloured beach dress naturally draws everyone’s eyes up! Yep, that cool hat you just chose means people are admiring your warm, pretty face and not even looking at your legs. Similar hat from Sussan or Kmart.
4. Invest in Some Oversized Sunnies
Think of every iconic beachside movie ever and gorgeous shades is part of the heroine’s look, right? Sunglasses are now more a fashion statement than ever and there’s thousands of looks to choose from. Avoid the mega cheapies as you still want to have UV protection for your eyes so make sure they meet Australian standards and you’re set.
With your stylish cover up, your hat and your sunglasses you’ll soon be channelling your own movie-star-glam in no time. This season over-sized is still ‘the look’ so think bigger is better if you’re out for new shades! Style shown is KOKO Head by Maui Jim.
5. Buy a Mega Beach Bag
Okay this might seem a weird one but schlepping 20 tonne of gear from the car to the beach makes me feel totally worn out before the day even begins. If you’ve got 11 plastic bags, a beach tent, picnic basket and all the kids towels, spades, buckets and goodness-knows-what-else, no wonder you feel more like family-pack-horse than stylish-beach-goddess.
One enormous bag that fits everything means moving onto the sand with ease and not hating the day before you’ve even placed your towel on the sand. The Project Ten Tote is ideal for the job. And by the basic laws of size comparison and wishful thinking, surely carrying a huge bag makes you appear smaller, right? Gosh, maybe I’ll get two!
Stand Tall & Be Proud
Nothing conveys that you are uncomfortable like bad posture. Someone who looks like they’d rather disappear altogether than be ‘anywhere but here’ will attract more attention than anyone else! Sure you’re not 20 anymore but look around you – neither are any of the other mums here. Now look at your gorgeous kids laughing by the water, you’re totally missing out on a fun moment worrying that you’re not perfect. Get over it. Go be proud and enjoy those amazing little people you created. And you know what? That cover up, that hat, those sunnies – you actually look amazing!
(If you’d like five more bonus hacks you’ll find them at the bottom!)
Honeybell Cover Ups: Rashwear That's Stylish, Flattering & Safe!
If you hate the traditional, hideous fit of a rash vest you’re not alone. Owner of Honeybell Waterwear, Annaliese saw a gap in the market and realised sun safe wear can actually be flattering, stylish and UV protective! It’s the beachwear trifecta!
Her range includes:
- our favourite shirt-dress inspired coverup
- a cap sleeve sun dress
- an uber flattering tunic which is a super-stylish take on a rashie with a v-neck and mid sleeve, and
- the ultra comfortable, relaxed fit swim tee.
Here’s what you need to know about Honeybell Waterwear products!
BONUS: Five More Beach Confidence Hacks for Mums!
- Nothing says summer luxe than exotic inspired jewelled sandals – add some bling to your resort wear and feel amazing! Plus you’ll wear them non-stop with your jeans, capris, maxis and shorts. They’ll literally pay for themselves!
- If you’ve got gorgeous sandals don’t forget a pedicure! Well groomed is never out of style and a lick of polish on those toes in a bold colour will always add to your overall look.
- Now a full face of makeup for the beach or pool is ridiculous – ain’t nobody got time for that! But a little waterproof mascara is a great confidence booster and won’t see you emerge from the water like you’re wearing a Halloween mask!
- Buy good quality swimmers. Even if you’re wearing a Honeybell Waterwear rash vest you still need swimwear bottoms or a one-piece to put underneath. Look for swimwear with some ‘engineering’ there’s plenty of affordable chainstore pieces with tummy-flattening mesh or built in bras. Your Honeybell pieces bring all the style you need, but much like good underwear under a favourite dress, you’ll feel better with great, flattering swimmers.
- Shave/ wax/ laser the lady-bits if you want to! Remember that scene from the Sex and the City movie where Miranda was a bit too muff-tastic in her swimmers? If you know you’ll feel better with smooth rather than furry legs, bikini or underarms make sure you sort it before you find yourself on the sand!
Mum Central tries the Honeybell Cover Up Shirt Dress!
As you know at Mum Central we’ll never recommend a product that we haven’t tried ourselves!
We asked our writer Victoria to review the Honeybell Waterwear Shirt Dress and after she got over the panic of being photographed in swimwear on the interwebs, here’s what she had to say;
The struggle for me is that the pool is not shady and sitting there for long periods of time is major UV exposure.
The minute I saw the Honeybell Shirt dress I knew what is was perfect for. Comfy to watch the kids in, perfect for pulling over my own swimmers and confidence that I wasn’t frying myself in the sun.
The fabric is ultra-soft and comfortable to wear. The fit is true to size and the detailing elevates it to look sleek and stylish. It’s also perfect for beach days or family holidays.
We’ve just been on a cruise … and this would have been the ideal cover up for moving between the pool and our room. I’d feel totally confident to be wearing this anywhere!”
Get Your Own Honeybell Waterwear Right Now!
So I’m pretty sure you must want your own Honeybell Waterwear right now don’t you? Well it’s super easy to get some on your newly beach confident bod this week! Head on over to Honeybell and choose your favourite piece (or two, go on, you know you want to!) and simply order online with a few easy clicks!
There’s a comprehensive size guide and Honeybell even offers free shipping Australia-wide! You’ll thank us when you’re rocking some pool-side cool. We promise you’ll never have felt hotter…
For a limited time Mum Central readers can save 25 per cent on everything at Honeybell Waterwear. Just use the code MUMCENTRAL25 at checkout. Happy shopping!
Whether you want the shirt dress like our writer Victoria, the flattering tunic or the timeless rash top you’ll feel rocking by the pool with your new selection!