Let’s not lie to ourselves, there is nothing like a good night’s sleep.
But sometimes, it’s not possible, so you’ve got to fake it ‘til you make it.
Here are a few fab tips to help the morning after a sleepless night….
Faking it fresh: Your Eyes
Chances are that the lack of rest has meant your eyes and under eyes are dehydrated. A few eye drops should take your eyes from that creepy red to a bright white. You’re bound to find deep dark circles under your eyes, dab a bit of eye cream on (yes that’s right it’s not just for night time use) which should add a bit of moisture to the delicate skin. Use a cream-based concealer rather than a matte which is designed to rid the skin of oil and in turn can dehydrate the skin.
If you have puffy eyes, applying the old frozen teaspoon over the affected area can help ease the water retention. Remember to do this prior to applying makeup.
Faking it fresh: Your Face
Opt for a revitalizing cleanser with a citrus base or one that has been oxygenated. Citrus is naturally uplifting so this will boost your skin from feeling dull and dehydrated. Oxygenated products will help any puffiness, inflammation or redness as oxygen is an anti-inflammatory. Use a hydrating day cream and avoid mattifying foundations or powders as they will only further dehydrate your tired skin. Opt for a lightweight cream or liquid foundation instead. Highlighting your cheekbones slightly will also brighten your face.
Faking it fresh: Your Body
While the body might be the least of your worries, it shouldn’t be ignored. Using a caffeinated scrub or body wash will not only smell amazing, but will awaken your skin cells and scrub off any dry dead skin. Using a citric based wash will also have an energising effect on the body.
Faking it fresh: Your Hair
Using a fruity and refreshing shampoo can work wonders, however for that extra boost use a shampoo with eucalyptus, mint and tea tree to awaken you right from the scalp.
Rather than tying your hair back into a messy top bun (we’ve all done it), do a messy braid to give yourself that chic trying-but-not-too-hard look. Oh and let’s not forget a quick spray of dry shampoo for some body and of course the faux clean look if you’re running late!
Faking it fresh: Other Quick & Easy Tips!
- Let there be light: Your body recognizes darkness as ‘time to sleep’ and daylight as ‘wakey wakey time’ so if you haven’t had enough sleep, trick your body by getting out into the sun to soak up some rays.
- Drink water: I mean more than the normal amount, hydration means your body is no longer rationing out whatever amount of water is left in your system, this will give you more energy and brighten your general appearance.
- Avoid toxins: Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol and eating junk food. This is the stuff that makes you feel sluggish and dehydrates you leaving you back at square one – looking tired.
- Eat well: Eat foods that are rich in anti-oxidants, lots of fresh fruit and veg, plenty of proteins and carbs, yes even carbs. Giving your body the fuel to stay awake will mean it will have a fighting chance.
- Exercise: While exercising might be the last thing on your mind after having little to no sleep, the workout will mean your body will release endorphin and give you more energy, get your blood flowing and give you a natural glow.
Always remember mumma, restless and wakeful nights are just a stage! You may feel tired right now but these days will soon be over. In the meantime from us to you, we all know it’s hard so if you’re so inclined to ‘fake it’ until you’re getting some real zzzz’s again good luck with these great tips! Have you got a tip we’ve missed? Share it below!