A man recently returning from the Philippines with Measles has visited at least a dozen public places in Adelaide while infectious.
According to Authorities, the 54-year-old man travelled to 12 locations over the past 9 days, including Wilunga Primary School and Central Shopping Centre in McLaren Vale and has triggered an Adelaide Measles alert.
“People with measles are infectious for several days before they develop symptoms,” SA Health spokesman Stephen Cristley said.
“It is possible we’ll see more cases, as this man visited many locations around Adelaide prior to his diagnosis.”
The man, whose diagnosis is the first recorded in SA this year, is recovering at home.
People who were at the twelve locations the infected man visited should be alert for symptoms over the next two weeks and seek medical attention if necessary, Dr Cristley said.
The illness typically begins with fever, cough, runny nose and sore eyes, followed by a rash which begins on the head and spreads down the body.
People with measles are infectious for several days before they develop symptoms.
“It is very important that people phone their GP ahead of any visit and mention why they are attending, so that precautions can be taken to avoid spreading disease to others,” he said.
The man visited the following locations while infectious:
- Tusmore Bakery and Café, 462 Greenhill Road, Linden Park: Tuesday 24 February from 12:00pm until 12:45pm
- Glen Hawke Photography, 244 Halifax Street, Adelaide: Tuesday 24 February from 1:00pm until 2:00pm
- 142-144 Gawler Place, Adelaide: Tuesday 24 February from 1:45pm until 3:00pm
- Blake’s Bakery, Main South Road, Reynella: Wednesday 25 February from 11:45am until 12:30pm
- Higher Level Health, 267 Main South Road, Morphett Vale: Wednesday 25 February from 1:00pm until 3:00pm
- Central Shopping Centre Coles Supermarket, 130 Main Road, McLaren Vale: Wednesday 25 February from 4:30pm until 6pm
- Shell Service Station, 209 Main Road, McLaren Vale: Wednesday 25 February from 5:00pm until 6pm
- Willunga Primary School, 247 Main Road, Willunga: Thursday 26 February from 12:30pm until 2pm
- Aldinga Beach B-7 School, Quinliven Road, Aldinga: Thursday 26 February from 1:45pm until 3:45pm
- Central Shopping Centre, 130 Main Road, McLaren Vale, including Coles Supermarket, Ellis Butchers and Chemmart Pharmacy: Friday 27 February from 10:30am until 11:30am
- Marion Domain Medical and Dental Care, Abbott Pathology and United Discount Chemists, 453 Morphett Road, Oaklands Park: Sunday 1 March from 10:30am until 12:30pm
- Noarlunga Health Service: from 6:00pm Sunday 1 March until Monday 2 March 2:00am
For further clinical information:
For all enquires please contact the CDCB on 1300 232 272 (24 hours/7 days)