Ocean Spray Craisins are the perfect dried cranberry, are they not? Dried yet deliciously plump, they bring lush bursts of sweetness to this banana bread. AND for crunch, a handful of pecans. Yum!
A twist on traditional banana bread, this recipe brings a little bit of a party to your loaf tin, perfect for afternoon tea. It’s great for kids too, just omit the pecans if sending it to school in lunch boxes.
Ready to try it for yourself? Let’s bake!
Cranberry, Pecan, Banana Bread Loaf
- 300 grams plain flour
- 225 grams caster sugar
- 100 grams butter or margarine, softened
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and cut into 1-2 cm pieces
- 4 tablespoons of full-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 50 grams chopped pecans
- 150 grams Ocean Spray Craisins (dried cranberries)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line a large 23cm x 13cm loaf tin, set aside.
- Mix the sugar and butter together in a mixing bowl until of a creamy consistency. Add the banana pieces, milk and eggs, combining the mixture well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until it just comes together.
- Gently fold in the walnuts and dried cranberries and pour the mixture evenly into the prepared loaf tin. Level out the top and push it into the corners of the tin using a silicone spatula.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Turn the loaf out of the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack. (Or if patience isn’t your thing and the smell is simply TOO much, don’t leave it to cool, slather a warm slice in butter and eat it quickly before it melts. Completely up to you.)
Tip: I prefer a loaf or loaf cake for lunch boxes because they’re easier to pack. There’s less risk of squashing when a delicious loaf piece can lie flat on top of a sandwich – and of course no icing to get messy. For another fantastic loaf tin idea, try our carrot and date cake recipe! Remember to omit nuts if sending to school or nut-free zones.
If you’re kids are seemingly always moaning about being hungry, we have a whopping 51 snack ideas for hungry kids. Be sure to check them all out for yourself, there might be some you hadn’t thought of, plus a few new ones to add to your shopping list!