If you’re a fan of the tasty, moist morsels of bite-sized chicken that we have come to know as popcorn chicken, you’re going to love this air fryer DIY popcorn chicken recipe. It’s an awesome budget-friendly option, healthier than the version that the Colonel sells AND you can make it from the comfort of your own home with your air fryer. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Taking the air fryer to new heights!
Hands up if you love your air fryer! If you’re yet to branch out from cooking anything in your air fryer beyond heating party pies, sausage rolls and frozen chips, this air fryer DIY popcorn chicken recipe is the perfect step to leap into exploring its huge cooking capabilities. It’s a recipe that’s fast, easy and delicious – you really can’t go too wrong.
And when you’re feeling confident, check out ALL of our past air fryer recipes! YUM!
Air fryer popcorn chicken recipe
- 500g chicken mince
- 3 cups of Cornflakes, crushed
- 50g plain flour
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of paprika (optional)
- Pinch of dried oregano (optional)
- Pinch of dried thyme (optional)
- Pinch of garlic powder (optional)
- Pinch of onion powder (optional)
NOT SO HOT CREAMY DIPPING SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (or to taste)
1. Crush the Cornflakes into fine crumbs using a food processor or by placing them in a plastic bag and rolling over it with a rolling pin. Season with salt and pepper. If your kids are open to herbs and spices, add a few pinches of those listed above. Mix together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Roll the chicken mince into small balls using damp hands. An old-fashioned ice cream scoop is a wonderful help here!
3. Place the flour in a shallow dish or bowl. Roll the chicken balls in the flour until they are completely covered. Dust off the excess.
4. Following the rolling in flour, roll the chicken balls completely in the beaten egg, followed by a roll in the seasoned Cornflakes crumbs. Make sure your rolling and dipping production line is close to the kitchen sink, this will get messy, not going to lie!
5. Place the crumbed chicken balls in the air fryer basket, make sure there’s a little bit of space between them for the hot air to circulate around and make them crispy. (If cooking in the oven place on a lined baking tray and drizzle with a little oil.)
6. You can preheat your air fryer for a few minutes, but some models don’t require it. Cook at 180°C for 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through. (For the traditional oven, preheat and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.) You might want to give them a little shake around halfway through and check that they’re not drying out. If they look dry, spritz with oil and continue cooking. Voila, popcorn chicken!
7. Popcorn chicken always needs a dipping sauce! To make a creamy (not so hot) dipping sauce, mix together the mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce. It’s delicious with a tang and not so much heat – it’s just right! Alternatively, serve with any dipping sauce it is that your kids love – tomato, BBQ, aioli, whatever your taste buds fancy!
There you have it, it really is that easy! This air fryer popcorn chicken recipe is an original recipe from our sister site Mum’s Pantry.
What do you think? Will you be giving this air fryer popcorn chicken a try at home? We’d love to hear what you cook up in your air fryer for your family, please share in the comments below!