Many individuals believe crystals can absorb, store, or transmit energy, and they use them for healing, meditation, and balancing chakras, among other practices.
While these beliefs are not scientifically supported, they hold cultural and spiritual significance for many people, shaping their understanding of how crystals work on a personal and symbolic level.
If you believe in the powers of crystals or are interested in learning more about them, then take a look at our crystal guide to the best crystals for pregnancy, labour and birth as well as for the tricky postpartum phase.
Why might new mums and mums-to-be be drawn to crystals?
- Spiritual and emotional support: Crystals are believed by some to have metaphysical properties that can promote emotional well-being and balance. Pregnancy can be a time of heightened emotions and stress, so some individuals turn to crystals to help manage their emotional state.
- Stress reduction: Crystals like amethyst or rose quartz are often associated with reducing stress and anxiety. Pregnant individuals may use them to relax and create a calmer and more peaceful environment.
- Protection: Certain crystals, such as black tourmaline, are believed to have protective properties. Some people use them to shield themselves from negative energy or to create a protective barrier during pregnancy.
- Fertility: Before and during pregnancy, some people use crystals to support their fertility journey. Crystals like moonstone or carnelian are believed to enhance fertility and promote a healthy reproductive system.
- Physical discomfort: Some pregnant individuals use crystals to alleviate physical discomfort such as nausea, back pain, or fatigue. Crystals like hematite or amber are believed to provide relief from these symptoms.
- Empowerment and intention setting: Using crystals can be a way to set positive intentions and goals during pregnancy. For example, someone might use a specific crystal to focus on a healthy pregnancy and childbirth.
Crystals for Pregnancy
Moonstone is often regarded as the “stone of new beginnings” and is believed to enhance fertility. During pregnancy, it is associated with balancing emotions and reducing stress. Many women also believe that moonstone can help ease the discomfort of morning sickness.
2. Rose Quartz
Known as the “stone of love,” rose quartz is associated with unconditional love, compassion, and self-care. During pregnancy, it can promote a sense of self-love and harmony with your changing body, as well as bonding with your unborn child.
Amethyst is a calming and protective stone known for its ability to reduce anxiety and stress. It can be particularly helpful for expectant mothers who may experience sleep disturbances or emotional turbulence during pregnancy.
This vibrant orange crystal is often linked to fertility and vitality. It is believed to boost energy levels and provide courage and motivation, making it one of the prime crystals for pregnancy and for pregnant mums who need an extra dose of vitality.
Lepidolite is a calming stone that can help balance emotions and reduce anxiety and depression. It is especially useful for expectant mothers dealing with hormonal changes and mood swings during pregnancy.
Crystals for Birth and Labour
1. Red Jasper
Red Jasper is associated with strength and stamina. These stones are believed to enhance physical endurance, making them excellent crystals for birth and to have during labour. Many women use it as a grounding stone to help them stay focused and resilient during childbirth.
2. Clear Quartz
Clear Quartz is often called the “master healer.” It is believed to amplify the energy of other crystals and can enhance the overall positive energy in the birthing space. It is also associated with clarity and focus, which can be beneficial during labour.
Selenite is a gentle and purifying crystal that can help clear negative energies and promote mental clarity. It can be used to create a peaceful and serene birthing environment, allowing the mother to stay centred and focused.
4. Black Onyx
Black Onyx is known for its protective qualities. It can provide a sense of security and ward off negative energy during the intense experience of childbirth. Many women use it to create a protective shield around themselves and their newborn.
Citrine is a joyful and uplifting crystal associated with abundance and positive energy. It can help bring optimism and courage to the birthing process, making it a popular choice for women seeking a positive and empowering birth experience.
Crystals for the Postnatal Period
As mentioned earlier, Lepidolite can also be helpful during the postnatal period to manage stress, anxiety, and mood swings. Its calming energy can provide a sense of stability and emotional well-being.
Rhodonite is known for its ability to heal emotional wounds and promote self-love. It can help new mothers navigate the emotional challenges that often come with postnatal life, such as feelings of guilt, overwhelm, and self-doubt.
3. Blue Lace Agate
Blue Lace Agate is a soothing stone that can aid in communication and self-expression. It is helpful for mothers who may be struggling to communicate their needs or emotions during the postnatal period.
4. Smoky Quartz
Smoky Quartz is a grounding and protective crystal that can help dispel negative energies and anxieties. It is beneficial for new mothers dealing with sleepless nights and the stresses of caring for a newborn.
Labradorite is a stone of transformation and intuition. It can assist new mothers in connecting with their inner wisdom and finding balance as they navigate the challenges of motherhood.
*** While crystals can be a source of comfort and support during pregnancy, birth, and the postnatal period, it’s essential to remember that their effects are highly subjective and not scientifically proven.
Always consult with a healthcare professional for any medical or emotional concerns during these critical stages in the journey to parenthood. Using crystals for pregnancy, birth, labour, postpartum or at any other time should be considered complementary tools to traditional healthcare and should not replace professional medical advice or treatment. ***
How To Care For Crystals
Caring for and recharging crystals is essential to maintain their energy and effectiveness. Here are five ways to do so:
Cleansing is the process of removing any negative or stagnant energy from your crystals. There are several methods you can use for cleansing, including:
- Water: Rinse your crystals under running water, preferably natural sources like a river or stream, or use purified water. Be cautious, as some crystals can be damaged by water.
- Salt: Place your crystals in a bowl of sea salt or Himalayan salt and leave them for a few hours to absorb the salt’s purifying energy.
- Selenite: Selenite is a self-cleansing crystal that can be used to cleanse other crystals. Simply place your crystals on or near a selenite charging plate or stick for a few hours or overnight.
- Smoke: Pass your crystals through the smoke of sacred herbs like sage, Palo Santo, or cedar to purify them.
2. Sunlight and Moonlight
Charging your crystals in natural sunlight or moonlight is an effective way to recharge their energy. Place your crystals outside during the day (except for those that may fade in direct sunlight) or under the moonlight overnight. The sun’s energy will infuse them with vitality, while the moon’s energy can bring a gentle, calming influence.
3. Earth Connection
Burying your crystals in the Earth is a grounding method of recharging. Find a clean and safe spot in the ground, bury your crystals, and leave them for a day or more. This process allows the crystals to reconnect with the Earth’s natural energy.
4. Sound and Vibrations
Sound and vibrations can help clear and recharge your crystals. You can use singing bowls, tuning forks, or even your voice to create a harmonious sound around your crystals. The vibrations can dislodge any trapped energy and refresh the crystals’ aura.
5. Other Crystals
Certain crystals can cleanse and recharge other crystals. You can place your crystals on a larger crystal cluster, such as amethyst, clear quartz, or selenite, for some time. These cleansing stones can help restore the energy of your crystals.
Remember that different crystals may have unique needs, so it’s a good practice to research each crystal individually to determine the best methods for care and recharging.
Additionally, trust your intuition and personal connection with your crystals, as you may find that you have your own unique and effective methods for caring for them.
What to read next
- What is Sound Healing and What Are the Benefits?
- 3 Easy Tips to Bring Positive Energy and Harmony in Under 5 Minutes
- How to Smudge Your House to Clear the Energy
Join us on Facebook