I’m a country girl through and through and you can bet I’ve tried my fair share of these over the years. Cheap as chips to make (maybe even cheaper), this Golden Syrup Dumplings recipe might not be much to look at, but I can assure you, those soft pillowy caramel sauce-covered dumplings are mouth wateringly scrumptious! *chef’s kiss*.
A favourite of farming families – and probably many Aussie families as well – this is a dessert that can be made purely from staples in your pantry. And chances are, you’ve probably got them all in your fridge and cupboard right now.
Shop your supermarket’s own brand products and SAVE
If you don’t have these essentials, I suggest popping them on your next shopping list and look for the supermarket’s own brand version, saving a few precious dollars along the way. I priced this golden syrup dumplings recipe out using the quantities from Woolworths Essentials branded items, with the exception of CSR Golden Syrup, and you can whip up this entire recipe for a total of $2.66. That’s right, dessert for a family of six for under $3!
But first, a serving suggestion…
You can eat these as they come, but we’ve always loved our golden syrup dumplings with vanilla ice cream. It never, ever disappoints either. So if you don’t have ice cream in your freezer, be sure to pick up a tub when you’re at the store.
Ready to stun your family with your budget-savvy dessert wizardry? Tie on an apron and let’s go!
Golden Syrup Dumplings Recipe
Time: 10 minutes prep, 20 minutes cooking
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup golden syrup
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- ¾ cup milk
- Make the sauce first! In a medium to large size saucepan (with a lid), combine the water, brown sugar, ¼ cup of the golden syrup and 50g of the butter. Mix together and stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted. It should look thick and glossy.
- While the sauce is heating, in a mixing bowl rub together the remaining 50g of butter into the flour using your fingertips. Pour in the milk and the remaining golden syrup (approx one tablespoon). Mix it all through using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula until well combined. It will be slightly sticky to touch.
- Bring the sauce in the saucepan to a boil and drop heaped dessert spoonfuls of the flour mixture into the sauce. Just scrape them straight in (or use a cookie scoop). Don’t make them too big because they will puff up and expand as they cook!
- Cover the saucepan with the lid and reduce the heat setting to low. Simmer the pot gently for 15 – 20 minutes. To test, insert a skewer and when cooked it should come out clean. If it’s sticky, cook a little longer.
- Divide the dumplings and sauce between six bowls and serve straight away with ice cream (or eat them plain with just the sauce.) YUM!
This is one of my personal favourite, budget-busting family desserts where the taste says SO much more than the look of the dish! A golden syrup dumplings recipe will always have a special spot in your recipe collection, for its rich caramel sauce and fluffy pudding factor!
Do you have a favourite, tried and tested budget-friendly dessert recipe? We’d love to hear it! Drop it in the comments below to inspire others with their family cooking.