Product Safety Australia (ACCC) has issued an urgent recall on Target Australia’s ‘Young Ones My First Torch Set’ due to potential risk of serious illness or death.
The product has been identified as defective because the screw holding the battery cover may fail, exposing the button batteries inside.
If young children gain access to the button batteries and potentially ingest them, they can suffer internal burn injuries which can result in serious illness and even death. In addition, the batteries may pose a choking hazard to younger children.
If you have this toy in your home it is recommended that you do the following:
- Immediately remove the toy from play and cease child access to the toy
- Return the product to Target for a full refund
- If you have questions or concerns please call the Customer Support Centre on 1300 753 567.
More information on the recall can be found here.
Button Batteries in Your Home
As detailed in this article by Mum Central button batteries are a dangerous household hazard which if injected can be fatal. Button batteries are also known as coin lithium batteries. They’re usually disc-shaped, ranging in size from 5mm to 25mm in diameter and 1mm to 6mm high. They’re popular with manufacturers because they’re cheap, compact and can be used to reliably power a multitude of small electronic devices.
In Australia, it’s estimated that up to 20 children a week present to emergency departments as a result of having swallowed, or being suspected of having swallowed, a button battery. Tragically, two children, (one 14 months and the other 4 years of age), have already died as a direct result of ingesting button batteries.