Do you have a flow of neighbourhood kids breezing in and out of your home right now? The ultimate afternoon tea to feed the masses HAS to be chocolate sheet cake – try it today!
Perfect for feeding a crowd, for the once-a week cake bake for school lunch boxes or even a kids’ party – this chocolate sheet cake hits the sweet tooth spot perfectly.
The inclusion of delicious CSR Buttercream Icing Mix makes a super handy shortcut for preparing icing. Sheet pan (roasting tin or lasagne dish) at the ready – let’s get baking!
Chocolate Sheet Cake recipe
½ cup hot (not boiled) water
2 teaspoons espresso coffee powder
150g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup CSR Caster sugar
½ cup full fat natural yoghurt
100g quality eating dark chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
2 ½ cups plain (all-purpose) flour
¼ cup Dutch cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 packet CSR Buttercream Icing Mix Chocolate, made according to packet directions
Allen’s Freckles, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 170C for a fan forced oven. Grease and line a 24cm x 34cm sheet tray and set aside.
- Combine the hot water and coffee and stir until the coffee has dissolved. Set aside to cool a little while you prepare the rest of the cake.
- Place the butter, eggs, caster sugar and yoghurt in a large bowl and whisk until just combined. Add the melted chocolate, vanilla and cooled coffee water. Whisk again until also just combined.
- Sift over the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Fold in with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and using the rubber spatula spread to the edges of the tin.
- Pop into the oven to bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake completely in the tin.
- Prepare the chocolate buttercream in accordance with the directions on the packet.
- Cover the entire cake with frosting, levelling a little with an offset spatula.
- Decorate with Freckles, cut into squares and serve!