Yes, you read that right. You can make a GIANT CHERRY RIPE BAR at home.
It’s a slice which is a little bit rich chocolate brownie, a little bit sweet coconut, studded with old school glace cherries and wrapped in lush dark chocolate. Consequently, there is NOTHING not to love about this Cherry Ripe inspired slice.
I must confess, I’m not much of a coconut fan. It often hits you in the back of the throat by surprise, you cough uncontrollably and as a result, have to explain to strangers “I’M FINE. I JUST CAN’T HANDLE MY COCONUT”. Which is awkward for all of us.
Nevertheless, I just want to say that though this slice recipe is VERY coconutty, it’s moist enough that it doesn’t choke you. In the nicest way possible. See, awkward.
Cherry Ripe slice recipe
Serves: 8 – 16 depending on how you cut
- 60g butter
- 1 Cadbury Cherry Ripe chocolate bar, finely chopped
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup plain flour
- 100g red glace cherries
- 125ml condensed milk
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- red food colouring gel
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 22 x 8cm bar or loaf pan. Make sure you have excess paper over the sides to act as ‘handles’ to help pull it out. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, Cherry Ripe chocolate bar and ONLY 120g of the dark chocolate. Melt in 20-second increments on HIGH in the microwave. Stir with a metal spoon until the chocolate melts. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Whisk the egg plus both the brown and caster sugar into the chocolate mixture. Add the flour and stir until combined well. Spoon into the prepared pan and spread it level. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre has crumbs attached! Cool slightly.
3. Take half of the glace cherries and chop them finely. Cut the remaining cherries in half. In a bowl combine the cherries, coconut, condensed milk and a few drops of red food colouring depending on how strong you want the colour.
4. Spoon the coconut mixture over the top of the brownie layer and spread it smooth on top. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden around the edge. Set aside to cool completely.
5. Once cooled completely, remove from the pan. Melt the remaining chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, heating it for 20 seconds at a time on HIGH, stirring with a metal spoon between each blast until smooth.
6. Place two tablespoons of the chocolate in a small zip-lock bag and set aside. Spread the remaining chocolate over the slice, covering the top and the sides. Allow it to set for a few minutes before snipping the corner off the reserved bag of chocolate and drizzling over the top, just like a REAL CHERRY RIPE BAR!
7. Slice into finger-width slices for generous pieces, or cut them in half again for more bite-size pieces. YUM!
If you’re truly passionate about your chocolate bars, check out these AMAZING 10 decadent desserts using chocolate bars – they’re sure to get your mouth watering!