Are the kids keen for gingerbread men? Here’s the BEST recipe you can whip up in your Thermomix. They’ll be lined up cooling on baking trays within the hour.
Even better, this is the perfect size dough for an afternoon activity, making around 20 decent sized gingerbread men. So you needn’t worry about spending the whole afternoon baking one million biscuits.
Gingerbread men are awesome for classmate or neighbourly gifts, wait for the icing to dry and wrap in a cellophane bag for an sweet treat gift!
Thermomix gingerbread men biscuit recipe
100g brown sugar
130g golden syrup
1 egg yolk
1½ tablespoons ground ginger
1½ teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
370g plain flour
Royal icing ingredients:
1 cup pure icing sugar
1 egg white
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place syrup, sugar, butter, mixed spice and ginger into mixing bowl and mix for 5 minutes / 50° on speed 2.
- Add egg and mix 3 seconds on speed 3.
- Add flour and bicarb soda to the bowl and mix 10 seconds/speed 5 until combined.
- Bring the dough together in the bowl, using the knead setting for 2 minutes.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape the dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it’s around 4mm thick. Use a floured cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- Bake for 8 -10 minutes, let sit on tray for a couple of minutes then carefully transfer onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
To make the royal icing:
- sieve the pure icing sugar into a bowl to remove any lumps. Add the egg white and beat until smooth. Remove a couple tablespoons of royal icing and set aside in a small bowl, covered with Gladwrap.
- Spoon the remaining white icing into a piping bag, snip a tiny corner off and carefully pipe outlines and faces on the gingerbread men. Let dry completely.
- Add a drop or two of food colouring to the royal icing you set aside and mix thoroughly. Use a piping bag to create coloured buttons on your gingers.
- Let gingerbread men dry for a few hours before packing away in an airtight container.
For some positively epic gingerbread inspiration, see our 11 easy gingerbread houses to make this Christmas!