‘Tis the season to get crafty and what better place to shop for your DIY decorations and Christmas craft items than at everyone’s favourite – Kmart.
Every season Kmart releases a whole slew of adorable toys, cute homewares and must-have items that make our homes and gardens look oh so pretty.
During the festive season, they also go ABOVE AND BEYOND, delivering cute Christmasy things that are sure to jingle your bells and inspire ALL the DIY Christmas hacks.
This year we are so excited to show you how our friends at The Christmas Cart have hacked three popular wooden homeware products from Kmart and, with very little effort, given them a Christmas twist.
Go rustic with these DIY Christmas hacks
Rustic Wooden Christmas décor has a warm, casual, family-friendly feel and works well in many different home décor styles. From Modern Farmhouse to Hamptons, Country to French Provincial, a touch of timber in your Christmas décor is always a winner.
Hack 1. Paddleboard Sign
- Either an Acacia or Scandi Paddleboard from Kmart ($10)
- Eat, Drink and Be Merry poster – free to download from The Christmas Cart
- Binder clip
- Hot glue gun
- Some Christmas floral picks
How to make it:
- Download the Eat, Drink and Be Merry poster, in A4 size.
- With a pencil, mark where you want the binder clip to sit, so your artwork is centred on the paddle.
- Put a generous amount of hot glue on the flattest part of the back of the binder clip.
- Press firmly on the binder clip to make sure it gets a good grip.
- Attach your floral picks to the top of the paddleboard. You could do this by wrapping the stem of the pick around the handle and/or securing with hot glue.
- Clip your printed download to the paddleboard.
Hack 2. Wooden Wreath Stand
- An Acacia Paper Towel Stand from Kmart ($7)
- Nail and hammer
- Christmas plaque or sign
How to make it:
- Remove the tie at the top of the paper towel holder and put aside.
- Hammer the nail into the top of the paper towel holder. You should push it about 1cm in or enough so that it feels secure.
- Wrap the tie you have put aside around your wreath at the point you want to fix the wreath to the stand so that it sits nicely and securely tie it to the nail at the top of the stand. As a guide, we used a wreath with approximately 60cm diameter and it was a perfect fit.
- Add a personalised plaque or welcome sign to your wreath stand by slipping the string over the top of the nail, and you’re all done!
Hack 3. Wooden Christmas table centrepiece tray
- Double Wide Edge Oak Look Photo Frame from Kmart ($8)
- 3 candles and 3 ramekins
- Christmas Garland, pine cones and Christmas picks
How to make it:
- Take the back off the photo frame, remove the papers and reassemble the photo frame.
- Place the garland around the base of the frame. Keep in mind that you will be nestling 3 candles in amongst it so you should leave little pockets of space for them.
- Once you have positioned the garland, add the 3 ramekins to the tray with the open side facing down and place the candles on top of the flat base of each ramekin. If you don’t have ramekins, any small jar, cup or similar type product that has a flat base for the candles to sit on will work fine.
- Add some extra pinecones and Christmas picks to fill in any spaces and make the tray look full and festive.
HOT TIP: If you want to keep it really simple, as we have here, then you can use these products straight off the shelf. However, you can also jazz these projects up with a coat of stain, varnish or paint to give the wood a particular finish or protective coating. It’s up to you.
Festive DIY Christmas hacks
We hope this taste of Christmas decorating inspiration has got your creative senses tingling. It’s never too early to start decorating for the festive season, so pick a project (or two, or three!) and bring the spirit of Christmas to your home.
To help kick off your Christmas decorating, The Christmas Cart are giving all Mum Central readers $10 off your first order* as you explore their gorgeous range of Christmas gifts, décor and craft supplies to suit almost any Christmas theme or style. Simply use CODE MUMS2019 in the Discount Code box as you’re checking out!
This is one of our fave online spots for Christmas goodies, especially handcrafted personalised products and unique finds. It’s also Australian-owned and comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’ve never browsed their site before, jump on over and don’t forget to save $10 too!