How to create a Christmas Vignette! PLUS Win All Your Fave products from dusk!
If you don’t know what a vignette is, don’t freak out – most people don’t! Basically it’s a fancy, French word that means a cluster of objects that ‘tell a story’.
The idea is to take all those random pieces you already have, the new pieces you might buy and the sentimental family items and make them into stylish groupings (rather than random stuff all over your house that makes no sense!)
Christmas is the ideal time to change up your décor, put away your day-to-day pieces and add festive touches to your different spaces. Hall tables, buffets, shelves, media units, fireplace mantles and bookcases are perfect places to try!
Creating a showy vignette is simple with a few basic rules:
- Choose an anchor piece for your vignette – this is the main item that you want to display, it does not have to be the largest it could be something you treasure, something small or something crafted by your child!
- Select other items that compliment this piece and build around it with either a common thread of colour or design
- Avoid items of all the same height – mix and match in height, texture and depth is the key
- Keep playing until you love it, when you find that perfect combination it will just feel right! That said, if you’re building a vignette with items you love there’s no wrong decisions!
VIGNETTE 1: Traditional Christmas Spinner Vignette
To accent its strong Christmas colours other red and green items are complimentary and create tie-in to the overall traditional, festive story.
VIGNETTE 2: The Modern Silver Scandia Vignette
The Tangle silver taper and tea light holders are staple pieces that will transcend a year of entertaining.
Add them however to a vignette of silver stars, modern deer and white tulips for a fresh, modern and contemporary look.
With clean lines and Scandi influences this is a story that’s timeless yet thoroughly sophisticated.
How to get this look: All items from dusk: Tangle Silver Taper Holder $49.99, Tangle Silver Tealight Holder $39.99, Silver Star Tealight Holders Large $12.99 and Small $7.99, Dascher (seated) Reindeer $24.99, Dancer Reindeer $24.99, Silver Wreath 35cm $49.99
VIGNETTE 3: The Luxe Santa Photo Vignette
Santa photos are a right-of-passage (note my two screaming their heads off in this one!) but they are not easy to incorporate into your every day décor.
This easy vignette is built around the season’s Santa picture in a gorgeous frame and other gold, bronze and beige selections.
Blooming Grandiflora Magnolia is quintessential to Australian summer and its glossy green foliage always looks amazing cut in a crystal vase.
The British colonial influences of the pineapple combine tastefully with the tones of the bauble and hammered tin tealights. A delicious golden glow ties it together for a romantic, luxurious look.
How to get this look: Antique style frame in gold, similar from Kmart $6, Festive Blush Bauble Tealight Holder from dusk $14.99, Gold Pineapple Taper Holder from dusk $69.99, Eve White Mood Bottle from dusk $24.99, Hammered Gold Bowl Tealight Holder from dusk $9.99, Natalie Gold Glass Dome (base shown only) from dusk $39.99.
So you’re hot-to-trot and super-inspired ready to get your home decorated for Christmas right?
Here are our final suggestions for making your Christmas home achievable:
- See what items you already have in your home that you love and wish to re-use … sentimental items, things the kids have made, Santa photos and favourites you’ve collected so-far
- Browse quality retailers such as dusk for new, long-term pieces you will use again and again – think of what you already have as you buy new items!
- Fill the gaps with seasonal products, plants or fresh flowers and foliage.
OR you could just win one of two amazing dusk Hampers valued at over $250 each! The hardest part will be choosing, do you want the Glamorous Christmas or the Summer Fan pack? Decisions, decisions! Enter below!
Thanks to our friends at dusk, we’ve got two gorgeous hampers up for grabs, ready to grace your home and bring some stunning festive cheer to your home this Christmas.
To enter, simply complete the entry form below and tell us which hamper you’d like – Glamorous Christmas with it’s gorgeous gold accents or the Summer Fun which its playful and bright colours.
Two lucky readers will each win a hamper which will be delivered to their door this festive season!
Proudly brought to you by dusk Australia