It starts with a sniffle or a cough. Then comes a stuffy nose and a fever.
It can leave your baby miserable and you sick with worry that you can’t wave a magic wand and make their illness disappear. Really, all us mums want, more than anything, is to keep our kids happy, healthy and safe.
One way we can help our children when they get sick is to make sure we’re prepared. And, when dealing with fever in infants, a thermometer is a must.
Having a reliable thermometer on hand can provide you with the reassurance that you are taking the right steps to monitor your baby or child’s fever.
How to Choose a Thermometer
With all the different types of thermometers available, it can be confusing to know which one to buy. This baby thermometer guide should clear a few things up.
Types of thermometers:
- Temperature strips – These plastic strips are placed on your baby’s head and change colour when your baby has a temperature. They are easy to use but not always accurate.
- Digital probe thermometers – Placed in the rectum, mouth or under the arm, these traditional thermometers require bub to remain still for at least a minute to get an accurate reading.
- ‘Smart’ thermometers – These patch thermometers are stuck to baby’s body and synced to an app on your phone. They provide continuous monitoring of bub’s temperature so you don’t have to wake them to get a reading, but you do need to be careful that a restless baby doesn’t knock the patches loose.
- Forehead thermometers – Another non-invasive option, forehead thermometers allow you to scan bub’s temperature but require perfect positioning to get an accurate reading.
- Ear thermometers – Inserted into the ear canal, these thermometers use infrared rays to quickly read the body temperature. This is the kind of thermometer you’re likely to encounter when you visit the family GP.
What to look for:
When choosing a thermometer, one thing all mums want is a thermometer that isn’t going to cause your baby discomfort. You probably also want something that is easy to use. After all, what’s the point in scanning baby for temperature if you’re not confident that you’ve done it right?
Another important thing to look for when choosing a baby thermometer is accuracy. When bub is sick, you want to not only know if your child has a temperature, but also how high it is. A reliable reading makes it much easier to give baby the care they need.
For ear thermometers, Braun ThermoScan 7 Ear Thermometer ticks all the boxes
Braun is Australia’s number one ear thermometer brand and the Braun ThermoScan 7 provides parents with all of the above and so much more.
Key features include:
- Accurate reading with AgeSmart technology: To make fevers even more confusing for parents, the definition of a fever varies depending on your child’s age. What is a normal temperature in a four-year-old, can be a fever in a newborn. This is why we love Braun ThermoScan 7 – their AgeSmart technology gives you an accurate reading based on your child’s age.
- Easy to use: Braun ThermoScan 7 also comes with colour-coded results for easy interpretation – green for no fever, yellow for moderate fever and red for high fever. There’s no guessing, so you always know what’s what.
- Fast and gentle: The comfortable positioning is ideal for infants, even squirmy ones. The Braun ThermoScan 7 works in seconds.
- Reassurance for mums: Braun’s ThermoScan 7 also comes with ExactTemp, a pre-warmed tip for more accurate readings. Plus the thermometer lights up and beeps to confirm you’ve got it in the right position. And it lets you know what the last temperature was too so you can track the fever.
- Reliable: A two-year warranty gives peace of mind. Plus, each ThermoScan 7 also comes with a protective case with lens filter storage and a box of lens filters.
For forehead thermometers, try the all-new Braun Touchless+Forehead Thermometer (BNT400)
If you’re on the hunt for a forehead thermometer, then a great option is the newly-launched Braun Touchless + Forehead Thermometer (BNT400).
Key features include:
- Duel technology (as in ‘Touch’ or ‘Touchless’ mode): This allows for quick, easy and instant readings – no struggle or stress and no need to wake your little one up to check his or her temperature.
- Multi-purpose temperature control: Use it to check bub’s bath, temperatures of purees, your baby’s bottles or any other heated food.
- No need to wake bub up: Simply hold the thermometer above your child’s forehead while they sleep. How cool is that?! And don’t worry, you get the same professional accuracy whether touching your child’s forehead or measuring up to 2.5cm away.
- Super speedy reading: Takes the measurements in under two seconds, which is one of the fastest ways to measure temperature.
- AgeSmart technology: The colour-coded display takes the guesswork out of reading temperatures. Green suggests no fever. Yellow indicates moderate fever and red signals high fever.
It’s hard enough to see our babies unwell, especially when fever is involved. Take the guesswork out of caring for bub and choose a thermometer designed to help you through these confusing and anxious moments.
You deserve to know you’re doing everything right and giving your infant exactly what they need to get better. The Braun ThermoScan 7 and the Braun Touchless + Forehead Thermometer (BNT400) can help you do that.
Always read the label and follow the directions for use.
* Remember: Fever is not an illness in itself but a sign of an illness. How you treat a fever depends on how high the temperature is, your child’s age and other symptoms. Babies under the age of three months with a fever should see a doctor straight away. If your child is between three and 12 months, you should also contact your doctor.