Add a touch of spookiness to your chocolate cupcakes with this cute Halloween cupcakes recipe!
Perfect for the kids’ Halloween party or even a spooky lunch box surprise, these Halloween bat cupcakes are a cinch to whip up, leaving plenty of time to prepare for trick and treaters.
Ready to get your Halloween on? Step this way mwah-ha-ha-ha!
Halloween Bat Cupcake Recipe
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbs plain flour
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbs cocoa
- ¾ tsp McKenzie’s Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup boiling water
Butter cream icing ingredients:
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups pure icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tsp full cream milk
- 12 Oreo cookies, cut in half
- 24 edible candy eyes
- Preheat oven to 180°C conventional or 160°c fan-forced. Line 12 x 1/3 cup capacity muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add both of the sugars and stir to combine.
- Add the egg, milk, oil and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the boiling water and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into each patty case until ¾ full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until cake skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the butter cream icing: Beat butter with icing sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in cocoa powder, vanilla essence and milk until smooth, adding extra milk or icing sugar if necessary. You want the consistency to be reasonably thick to hold the decorations in place.
- To decorate: Pipe butter cream onto each cupcake in a swirling pattern. Position the candy eyes and biscuit halves on the butter cream to create a bat.
There you have it, a dozen gorgeous, cute Halloween cupcakes ready to spook!
This is an original McKenzie’s recipe.