If you can #grammar with the best of them, have a truly proactive and commercial heart, you might be the new Editor-in-Chief we’re searching for.
Join the Mum Central team in this exciting role offering great autonomy, opportunity and dream work-from-home hours, perfect for work-life balance.
Mum Central is one of Australia’s premiere parenting and lifestyle hubs keeping mums in the know across all sorts of categories, including parenting, home, food, travel and news.
We have a highly engaged Facebook community of more than 630,000 mums which reaches millions of mums each week, and hundreds of thousands of mums who visit our website monthly, so we’re focused on delivering quality, authentic, timely and relevant content for our audience of 20-50-year-old women. And above all, we love having fun!
We are currently seeking a qualified and experienced Editor-in-Chief to round out our amazing team.
This is a once in a lifetime chance to join a results-driven team to guide the site to new heights using your innovative storytelling, strategic digital advertising skills, and enthusiastic can-do attitude.
What are we looking for in our ‘star recruit’?
We’re seeking an editing gem. Sure you can write, fact check and add punctuation with the best of them. But our dream editor brings a commercially driven approach that merges our content objectives, audience demands and client (advertiser) requirements.
As well as wearing commercial and creative hats, our editing star is SEO savvy and can develop content that meets the brief for both social channels and organic search.
You will be a super-fast writer, well-versed in standard editorial operations and have a sophisticated understanding of the digital publishing ecosystem and native content.
You’re social media savvy and know how to get your content seen as widely as possible. You’ll know what’s trending and be committed to truly understanding the Mum Central woman and what will (and won’t resonate!) with her.
You’re obsessed with the numbers, achieving the traffic and hitting targets daily, weekly and monthly. You know that running a tight budget is part of overall business success and that these metrics are the measure of content success.
What do we offer?
This role is a true unicorn for a mum seeking to work in a strategic role while balancing family life. All while working for a rapidly growing and independently owned publisher.
Working from your home office during school hours (Contract role of 25 hours per week over 5 days Monday to Friday), this is dream flexibility for someone as passionate about their family as their career.
Mum Central’s tight-knit team meet online weekly and chat daily. While you’ll be working from home, this is not an isolated position and you will enjoy great humour (well we think so), a motivated environment and ample watercooler chat.
Day-to-day you will …
- Source, write and commission timely, accurate and inspiring lifestyle content in an intelligent, confident and aspirational tone of voice
- Commission, edit, proof and publish content via WordPress
- Set and execute functional content calendars
- Manage a team of employees and freelance contributors and budgets
- Be responsive to trending news and prioritise commercial content
- Social pushes and image selection
- Editorial reporting
- Data analysis and insight development
- Native content ideation and reporting
- Write to retain awareness of the Mum Central style of writing
- Ability to actively shape Mum Central’s content and drive traffic through engaging and trending stories
- Ability to work self-sufficiently and generate fresh ideas for this remote-based web production role
- Work nominated school hours but take a pro-active and motivated approach – if something BIG happens outside these hours and audience need to know you’d move heaven and earth to make it reasonably happen
This is what you might look like …
- 3+ years working in a senior editorial role
- Be able to demonstrate a passion and alignment with Mum Central’s vision, purpose and core values through your application
- Possess a portfolio of published work with demonstrated ability to amplify content across social media ready to showcase
- The confidence and ability to take the lead in the curation of the site’s key pillars
- Strong communication and people skills, able to lead and understand how to get the most out of others through support, guidance & leadership
- Have managed and trained a team
- Be confident, self-motivated and proactive in organising your day to meet key deadlines, leap on opportunities and making things happen whether they’re scheduled or unexpected
- Possess strong IT skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Must have a keen eye for photographs
- A superior understanding of social media platforms
- Proficiency in Photoshop and experience in WordPress and other content management tools
- A working knowledge of SEO and in using data analytic tools.
Sound like you?
Could this be the family-friendly yet impactful role you’ve been dreaming of?
Want a voice in the parenting space that speaks to over a million mums every week?
What are you waiting for? Let’s start the conversation.
To be considered for this once in a lifetime opportunity with Mum Central, please apply with a cover letter detailing your strategic editorial and commercial experience, address how you meet the ‘star recruit’ criteria (first paragraph above) and include at least two links to recent & published work.
Strictest confidentiality will be assured.