This is a sponsored post for Woolworths.
Want to celebrate Halloween this year in SPOOK-tacular style? It’s a given that you’re going to need a cake, so why not try your hand at this BOO-tiful Jack-O-Lantern Halloween mud cake hack?! Spoiler alert: there’s zilch baking. Nada. NONE
That’s right, the good folk at Woolworths have ALREADY DONE THE BAKING. If you’re yet to try a Woolworths Mudcake, you’re missing out. The supermarket’s own Mudcake is beautifully dense, rich in flavour and they’re an extremely budget-friendly $4.80 a pop.
The fun doesn’t stop there. Because cake is fun, right? Woolies Mudcakes are PERFECT for cake hacks. You save time (ALREADY BAKED!) you save on baking mistakes (THEY’RE THE SAME SIZE AND QUALITY ALWAYS!) and they taste AWESOME.
With that said, we give you our very own Halloween themed cake hack – the Spooky Jack-O-Lantern Mudcake Hack. Woooooooooooo! Did I mention that our cake hack is a pinata cake? Oh yes, we’re filling it with ALL the treats folks!
Watch the cake magic below and for all the nitty-gritty details, scroll on down!
Spooktacular Jack-O-Lantern Pinata Mudcake Hack!
What you need
- 3 Woolworths Mudcakes (choose your favourite flavour!)
- 800g pure icing xugar
- 360g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- A dash of milk
- Orange food colouring
- Black ready-rolled icing fondant
- ALL OF YOUR FAVOURITE HALLOWEEN LOLLIES!
What to do
- Make your buttercream icing! Mix the icing sugar and the butter together and just a few tablespoons of milk. If it’s too stiff, add a little more milk. Mix in a squirt of food colouring. Keep mixing, then set aside!
- Leaving the icing on, cut a hole into the centre of each of your cakes. (TIP: use a scone cutter and small knife!)
- Take a cake board or plate and layer the first cake upside down.
- Add a layer of buttercream icing. Add the next cake and ice again!
- For the top layer, make the hole a little bigger. Add to the top of the cake, icing side up.
- Round the top and bottom edges of the cake with a knife to give it a pumpkin-like shape.
- Cover the whole cake with a thin layer of icing to hold crumbs in. (It can be messy!)
- Pop in the fridge for 20 minutes to set.
- Roll the black fondant on a surface sprinkled with icing sugar. Cut out eyes, nose and a mouth. Set aside.
- Ice the cake with the remaining icing!
TIP: Use a warm, dry offset spatula to smooth out the edges! Back to the fridge to set.
- Stick the fondant face shapes to the cake using a dab of thin buttercream. Fill the pinata hole with lollies and decorate the top of the cake.
All that’s left to do is cut slices and be ready to catch the lollies as they spill out!
Trick or treat, it’s all things sweet this Halloween. Head to Woolworths today to discover their line up of Woolworths Mudcakes, priced just $4.80! Choose from chocolate, vanilla and caramel – PLUS keep your eye out, there are sometimes limited-edition flavours available through the year. NOW CUT THE CAKE!