Two of the best things about summer – ice cream and mangoes. Sure, the warm weather is a bonus but if I’m honest, I’m more about the mango and ice cream. Here’s how to make your own ice creams at home to enjoy any time!
You can save a small fortune making your own ice creams at home for the family to enjoy, making a lot more for the same price as you would pay for a box of four. It cost me $6.55 to make 24 ice creams, compared to paying $7.50 for a pack of 4 similar items at the supermarket. It’s a budget treat win!
To be clear, I use a Thermomix to make these, but you can just as easily make this recipe with a pot on the stove and a blender or stick blender. If portion control needs to be exercised (points finger at self), you can use any ice cream moulds, or even a few silicone mini loaf trays (the Kmart one is awesome and only $5!).
RECIPE: Mango and Cream Ice Cream
- 220g water
- 200g sugar
- 3 x 425g cans sliced mangoes, drained or 730g of fresh fruit flesh
- 20g fresh lemon juice
- 350g thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Combine the sugar and water in the Thermomix jug and boil for 5 minutes / 100 / Speed 2 until the syrup has thickened. Set aside to cool. CONVENTIONAL COOKING NOTE: If using the stovetop, do this step in a saucepan, stirring constantly.
2. Once cool, add the mango flesh and lemon juice to the syrup mixture. Blend for 30 seconds/speed 8 / MC on, until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and set aside. CONVENTIONAL COOKING NOTE: Use a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Without cleaning the bowl, pour 260g (1 cup) of the mango mixture into the Thermomix jug, add the cream and vanilla. Blend for 10 seconds on speed 3 / MC on. CONVENTIONAL COOKING NOTE: Again, use a blender and blend until smooth.
4. Pour the cream mixture into a foil-lined lamington pan. If using moulds, fill to about halfway. Freeze for an hour until firm. Once the mango cream layer is frozen, add the mango mixture on top and return to the freezer until completely set.
5. Slice the slice into bars (or pop out of moulds) and store in an airtight container in the freezer. Happy summer days!
This mango and cream ice creams recipe make a lot of little pops – around 24, so they can last a while! A tweaked version of an original recipe by Mal from Recipe Community. You can absolutely try it with other fruit – I think peaches and raspberries would be sensational!