With Mother’s Day on the horizon, here’s an epic sponge cake recipe that’ll be sure to wow everyone, and certainly put a ‘You’re the best Mum’ on the table!
The team at McKenzies have come up with this delicious recipe for the ultimate sponge cake and to be honest, we definitely think it’s too good not to be shared!
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (150g) Wheaten corn flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) custard powder
- 1 tsp McKenzie’s Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 tsp McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda
- 300ml thickened (heavy) cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 250g strawberries, thinly sliced
- 125g strawberries, halved, extra
- Preheat oven to 200oC. Grease and flour two 20cm round cake tins.
Beat eggs and sugar on high speed in an electric mixer for approximately 7 minutes until thick and creamy.
Sift dry ingredients twice. Sift a third time into the egg mixture. Using a large metal spoon, quickly and lightly fold flour mixture through egg mixture.
Divide mixture between the two prepared cake tins. Place in oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until sponge springs back when touched.
Remove sponge from oven and allow to cool.
Whip the cream and vanilla essence until firm peaks form. Place one sponge cake on a serving platter. Spoon strawberry jam on sponge, top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Place the second sponge on top.
Top with extra halved strawberries and a dusting of icing sugar.
For an extra indulgence, combine 1 cup of icing sugar, 10g of softened butter and 1 ½ tbs of milk to make an icing and smear over cake before topping with strawberries.
You might also like:
- RECIPE: Knock Her Socks Off with Fairy Floss Pancakes For Mother’s Day
- RECIPE: Strawberries and Cream Cake Cups Even the Kids Can Make!
- How to Make Cheesecake Brownies in Your Pie Maker