If my sons could NEVER brush their teeth again, they would be happy. Twice a day, every day I nag encourage them to brush their chompers. Once before we leave for school and once before bed.
Sometimes I don’t nag encourage and then when I’m saying goodbye or tucking them in ask ‘did you brush your teeth?’ And the answer is always one of two:
“Yes” which could be either the truth or a lie on any given day OR “You didn’t tell me to”
I have been nagging encouraging them for eight and six years respectively and it’s STILL my fault if they choose not to without my prompting.
Are you feeling my pain yet? Or are you in your own world of pain? If you are, we’re not alone A recent study conducted by Philips Sonicare indicated that 32% of mums said their children only brush for up to one minute and 25% only brush once a day – concerning percentages for the dental profession, particularly when tooth decay is the single most common chronic childhood disease.
Well, things are changing around these parts. We now have a Philips Sonicare electric toothbrush in the house and all of a sudden my boys are keen as mustard to brush their teeth.
Removing more than 75% of plaque than manual toothbrushes is reason enough to try it out and let’s just say the proof was in the pudding!
We downloaded the Brush Busters app and they signed up to both the characters. Stefan [8yo] has teamed up with Bjorn the Viking and Nathan [10yo] has teamed up with Vicky the Vampire.
And here’s where things get interesting.
My boys have been brushing their teeth independently for a couple of years now and do the obligatory minty breath in Mum’s face as proof of such. But for the purposes of this review, I have been standing in the bathroom with them while they are brushing and I have discovered the most disturbing thing. My kids don’t know how to brush their teeth properly. Even though I was sure I had taught them.
Dr. David Dunn, principal dentist at The Macquarie Street Centre, Sydney says “It’s important to maintain a good oral health regime at all times. When we disregard it, plaque and bacteria cause damage to our teeth, gums, and supporting bone around the teeth. Therefore, it’s extremely important, especially as a parent, that we not only look after ourselves properly but also set a good example for the younger generation to take care of our oral health, both personally and with professional care.”
So we’ve gone back to basics, thanks to the Sonicare. We set the phone up on the bathroom counter and start the app which tells the boys where to brush and for how long to kill all the harmful bacteria in that space. And they’re actually doing it!! Even the ten year old. I am genuinely surprised. And incredibly pleased.
Check them out! They’re actually watching the app to see where they need to brush next! Oh and get this. They tell ME it’s time to brush their teeth. Which has to be the BEST review of all.
The app also senses IF they stop brushing (watch the video below to see how!) so this puts an end to sneaky brushing escapades.
Find out more about the Brush Busters App here:
Top 5 Features of the Philips Sonicare For Kids Electric Toothbrush
- It has two brush head sizes that are specifically designed to gently clean and protect teeth as they grow
- It has a KidPacer which delivers fun sounds to encourage kids to brush their entire mouth effectively for the dentist-recommended 2 minutes
- To help kids ease into a proper routine, this electric toothbrush uses KidTimer to slowly increase the brushing time over 90 days until reaching the dentist-recommended 2 minutes to help instill healthy habits naturally.
- Philips Sonicare For Kids removes up to 75% more plaque than manual toothbrushes.
- With two kid-friendly power modes, the Sonicare provides proper cleaning for different ages; a low mode for younger children and high mode for older kids.
So there you have it! It’s clear to say we loved the Philips Sonicare and it’s certainly earned itself our Mum’s Choice Thumbs Up Award!
To celebrate this fab new toothbrush, and to help take the pain out of brushing time at your house, we’re giving you the chance to WIN a Phillips Sonicare Electric Toothbrush for your kids!
To enter, simply complete the entry form below and you’re in the running to win!
WANT TO INCREASE YOUR CHANCES?
1. Each entry action in the form below gives you one entry into the competition. The more actions you complete the greater your chances.
2. Be sure to come back daily for your daily BONUS ENTRY.
3. SHARE SHARE SHARE on social media using the last entry action – for every friend that enters from your referring link, YOU get another entry too!