Imagine coming home after a busy afternoon to find a snake slithering through your thongs.
This is exactly what happened to a Caloundra resident over the Christmas holidays as she discovered an unwelcome surprise wrapped around her black double pluggers.
It doesn’t get any more Aussie than that! Or awful. Like spine-tingling awful!
Snake in your Thongs
EARLY CHRISSY PRESENT?A Caloundra resident got their Christmas present a little early this afternoon when she came…
The juvenile red-bellied black snake blends in so perfectly with the pattern of the thongs that we almost completely missed it. The slithering creature was safely caught, snapped and shared by Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers.
Although red-belied black snakes are venomous, they are not one of the most deadliest snakes in Australia.
So that’s a plus…
Snakes in your plains? Here’s what you need to do
The snakes seem to be coming out in droves this summer, with a whole flotilla of residents getting the shocks of their lives after finding these slithery nightmares in the strangest places. One woman discovered a venomous snake wrapped around her child’s LEGO while another found a baby snake curled up in her son’s water bottle.
We recently spoke to Associate Professor Bill Nimorakiotakis from Epworth Richmond Emergency Department, about what to do if your child does come into contact with a snake.
What To Do if a Snake Bites Your Child
- Do not panic – Snake venom travels through the body during muscle contractions. Help your child stay calm to keep the muscles from contracting and the venom from spreading.
- Don’t let your child walk – Try not to move him at all. And, if you must, carry him instead. Again, any movement can push the venom through the body quicker.
- Bandage the area – An elastic compression bandage is best, wrapped as tightly as you would wrap a sprained ankle.
- Head to the ER – It’s too risky to assume that the snake isn’t venomous. Go in, no matter what. The emergency department will be able to evaluate your child and give the appropriate anti-venom.
- Do not try DIY – Don’t try to wash the area of the bite, suck out the venom or cut the bite.
- Do not attempt to identify the snake – No need to try and take a photo of the offender or try and catch a glimpse of it. Let it go.
- Download the free app – When your child is bitten by a snake, it’s not always possible to remember these rules, which is why it’s smart to keep the info on your phone. Australian Bites & Stings is a free app with all you need to know on snake bite first aid, plus guidelines on bites and stings from other venomous creatures.
Check out our full Snake Survival Guide for more information on snake bite safety this summer.