Two ingredients is all you need for a lip-smackingly good slow cooker chicken according to the internet. So we put it to the test ourselves. A delicious roast chicken for under $10 and practically no effort? PLUG IN THE SLOW COOKER.
Anyone who has cooked a roast chicken in the slow cooker would know that while it’s beautiful and tender, it looks like that hen needed a holiday. It lacks that tan colour of a traditional roast chook. However, this recipe which has been showing up all over the internet was one we had to put to the test ourselves. And boy, are we glad we did.
Just like the fabulous roast potato hack, the unsung hero of this recipe is the French Onion Soup Mix. That soup sprinkle delivers both colour – and flavour – in spades. Not just to the chicken itself, but to the veggies below!
So without further ado, let’s get it all in the slow cooker. Prep takes 10 minutes, TOPS. If you’re having root vegetables (potato, carrot etc) throw them in the slow cooker to cook at the same time.
RECIPE: French Onion Slow Cooker Chicken
- 1.5kg whole plain chicken
- 1 sachet of French onion soup
- Spray oil (to grease the slow cooker pot)
- Vegetables to serve (potato, carrot and onion)
- Green vegetables to serve (ie. peas)
1. Peel and cut potatoes, carrots and onion.
2. Spritz the slow cooker pot with oil and place the veggies in the bottom of the slow cooker.
3. Place the chicken on top of the bed of vegetables. Sprinkle the French onion soup mix over the skin of the chicken. Rub it all over with clean hands.
4. Put the lid on and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
5. When cooked, take out of the slow cooker and let it rest, covered for 5 minutes before carving.
6. Cook any other vegetables you wish to serve and enjoy – we’ve just got peas because KIDS! Don’t forget the gravy!
The family votes are in and we can announce: winner, winner chicken dinner!
For more delicious dinner ideas see:
- Dinner for Under $20 – a Week of Budget Meals for Families
- 3 Step Slow Cooked Pea and Ham Soup Recipe
- 9 Clever and Delicious Ways to Serve Leftovers