Breastfeeding isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. But it is for me.
I love (almost everything) about it – the closeness, the convenience, the comfort it provides. I love staring down at her as she feeds, watching me watch her in an adorable mummy-baby-stare-off.
Sure, it can be mildly painful and majorly time-consuming but for me and my seven-month-old daughter, it works. After all, it’s not forever and one day, when she’s replaced me with a sippy cup and snacks, I’ll miss it.
I’m sure many mums, actually, probably ALL mums, feel like this. Whether breastfeeding or bottle feeding, feeding our babies offers such a special, yet fleeting, connection. Blink and she’s seven months old, eating purees and sprouting teeth (OUCH!).
This is why many mums look for ways to commemorate these fleeting feeding moments while they still can.
Enter the tree of life breastfeeding picture – a free and effortless way to turn your fave breastfeeding photo into a beautiful keepsake. Best of all, it’s super easy to do (one-handed, even) so you can do it while feeding! Multitasking for the win!
The App Turning your Breastfeeding Pics into Works of Art
I first discovered these tree of life breastfeeding photos three years ago but my eldest daughter was already off the boob, so I never got to try it. As I learned back then, the tree of life represents fertility and spiritual connection among living creatures and quickly became a symbol for the #normalizebreastfeeding movement.
Anyhow, fast forward three years. I’ve got my third tiny terror to feed and multiple opportunities to snap breastfeeding selfies. So, naturally, I had to see if the #treeoflife trend was still a thing.
Turns out, just like breastfeeding, these gorgeous breastfeeding pictures never go out of style. The app still exists and so do the filters to make it happen. Hooray!
So, to all the new batch of breastfeeding mummies who may have missed out on the tree of life trend, let’s bring it back! Here’s how to do it:
How to Make Your Own Tree of Life Breastfeeding Picture
- Download the PicsArt app.
- Open the PicsArt app and tap the purple “Plus Sign” at the bottom
- Choose a breastfeeding selfie from your Photos.
- Tap the “sticker” icon at the bottom and search for “Tree of Life” stickers.
- Pick an image from the Tree of Life that you like. There are heaps to choose from!
- Place it over your breast and in your child’s mouth and adjust however you like. You can make the tree bigger, smaller or rotate it by pressing on it. Press “apply” when you’re happy with the position.
- Select the “Effects” icon at the bottom and choose a filter you want on the overall image. The most popular one is Midnight but there are several others that look good including Rainbow and Flare.
- Hit “Next” and save your photo.
For more inspiration on getting the perfect pose and the perfect photo, scroll #treeoflifebreasting on Instagram. And be sure to share your own #treeoflife breastfeeding pic with us in the comments! We would LOVE to see them!
What to read next
- These Photos Celebrating the Fed Is Best Message Are Everything
- What to Do if You See a Mum Breastfeeding in Public (and Why Calling the Police is NOT on the List)
- This Photographer Celebrates the REAL Post-Baby Body in the Honest Body Project