A Melbourne mum wants to warn other parents about the dangers of eating sour lollies after her 4-year-old daughter suffered chemical burns to her tongue after eating the popular Warheads lollies.
Four-year-old Willow Wright’s tongue suffered a painful chemical reaction after she ate around 10 of the small Warheads lollies. Saying she felt like the skin was coming off her tongue, the Melbourne child was left with a large hole on her tongue where the skin peeled off.
Her mother, Kirsty Wright, has said she was concerned about her daughter’s reaction to the lollies having been left with a large hole on her tongue where the skin clearly peeled off.
“I burst into tears because I was really worried,” she said. “I’ve never seen this before.”
Kirsty called her GP who said that sadly there wasn’t much they could do, recommending treating her tongue with ice and Panadol to manage the pain.
Jonathon Teo, from the Dental Association of Australia, has said these lollies contain high levels of acid to create the sour taste.
“The sour warhead lollies, in particular, can be very dangerous,” he said. “Products with this level of acid or PH can cause chemical burns to cheeks and tongue.”
It’s not surprising for dentists to see a lot of trauma and damage to teeth and gums caused by the sour lollies. And when you think about it, it’s not surprising. These Warhead lollies have a similar PH level to hydrochloric acid, even stronger than lemon juice and Coke!
The packaging states they shouldn’t be consumed by children four years and above, however dental experts say the lollies should be avoided altogether due to the acidic coating.