If ever there were to be a King of soups, this is surely it. It’s the kind which will fill you with warm delicious comfort – from your belly to your boots – and is completely meat free. Vegetarian and hearty, this is a soup recipe destined for the lunch rotation!
The good folk at McKenzie’s know how to create thick, robust, packed with flavour soups which are so good you won’t miss the meat one bit. Meatless meals are both excellent for the diet and even better for the grocery budget. Why not give it a try today.
Soup pot ready? Let’s crack on!
Hearty mushroom & barley soup recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 stick celery, finely sliced
- 300g Swiss brown mushrooms, thinly sliced 1-litre vegetable stock
- 2 cups of water
- 3⁄4 cup McKenzie’s Pearl Barley, rinsed
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped McKenzie’s Salt & Pepper Grinder, to taste
- Parmesan toasts, to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or pot. Add leek, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook a further 5 minutes until mushrooms are tender and softened.
- Add stock, water, barley and thyme to pot. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes until barley is tender. Stir in soy sauce.
- Just before serving stir in parsley and season well. Accompany with parmesan toasts.
The perfect comfort food for the upcoming cooler months, enjoy this soup at home or pack it in a Thermos container for a delicious work or school lunch. Yum, yay for meat free Mondays!
You might also like:
- 9 Clever (and Delicious) Ways to Use Leftovers
- How to Make Fake Takeaway Honey Chicken in Your Slow Cooker
- Hooray! IKEA Share Their Famous Swedish Meatballs Recipe