Who wants to save money on takeaway Chinese food? *THRUSTS HAND IN AIR*. Alas, put the phone down and get the slow cooker out. We’re faking it tonight guys.
A viral sticky honey chicken recipe that pops up over and over again on the Slow Cooker Recipe & Tips Facebook page with rave reviews, I’ve decided to put my money where my mouth is and try it for myself. Taking one for the team so to speak.
What’s fakeaway takeaway I hear you ask? It’s all the mouth watering joy of takeaway – but it comes from your own kitchen. I love it because let’s be honest, while it’s not as convenient, it’s a whole lot better on the budget than ACTUAL takeaway.
So here we go. Dust off your slow cooker, head to the pantry for a few staples or hit up your local Woolworths and we’re good to crack on with it! (Just don’t forget to have some rice and greens to serve it with – YUM!)
Slow cooker sticky honey chicken recipe
- 2 tablespoons of butter for browning chicken
- 500g chicken breast or thigh
- 2 heaped tablespoons self raising flour to coat chicken
- 3 tablespoons Australian honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ small onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds (optional)
1. Cut the chicken into a large dice and coat the diced chicken in flour. Dust off excess flour.
TIP: Add both chicken and flour to a freezer bag and give a shake. Easy!
2. Melt a tablespoon of the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on the outside. You may have to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your pan. Add the onions and cook for just a few minutes.
3. Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker bowl along with the cooked onion. In a small bowl, combine the honey, brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic. Mix it through the chicken in the slow cooker. Cook for two to three hours on HIGH.
NOTE: Some slow cookers run hotter, so check around the 2 hour mark if chicken’s cooked through!
4. When the chicken is cooked and deliciously sticky, stir through the sesame seeds (if using).
5. Serve immediately with rice and vegetables. #GETINMYBELLY
And there you have it, fakeaway takeaway – the sticky honey chicken edition!
NOTE: If you like your honey chicken less sweet, reduce the honey and sugar and add an extra splash of soy sauce.