Want to make your own KFC style chicken at home? Well, OF COURSE, YOU DO! Here’s the ultimate fakeaway takeaway and is sure to have them all coming back for more!
I’m not embarrassed to admit that I think KFC chicken drumsticks are pretty good. But when the family budget is TIGHT (and let’s face it, we’re getting to the pointy end of the year), the first things to go are luxuries like eating out or getting fast food. But what if you could do it at home?
Here’s how to recreate a KFC chicken feast at home which is both budget-friendly and delicious. Just add chips and a drink and you’ve created your own DIY combo meal!
Disclaimer: there’s a LOT of spices in this mix (and are you REALLY surprised?!) however we’re pretty confident many of these you’ll already have at home!
NOTE: I fried my chicken in a wok of Woolworths vegetable oil. You can use a deep fryer or spray the chicken with oil and try cooking in the air fryer for a similar result!
DIY KFC Chicken Recipe
- Chicken pieces (we used a 2kg pack)
- 2 cups of plain flour (this will coat a 2kg pack of drumsticks)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ teaspoon dried basil
- 4 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons white pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- oil for deep frying
1. In a large bowl, combine the plain flour and all of the spices and seasonings. Make sure there are no lumps in the spices!
2. Coat the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour mixture. Let them sit in it while you prepare the oil.
3. In a large saucepan (or deep fryer), heat the oil until it is around 170°C.
SAFETY TIP: Leave plenty of room in the pan for bubbling hot oil to rise as it cooks. No one wants a hot oil spill!
4. Cook the chicken pieces in the oil until golden brown. Use a meat thermometer to check if it’s cooked all the way through (75°C). Place in a warm oven while cooking the rest of the chicken. Drain excess oil away by resting the chicken on kitchen towel.
5. Serve while still hot and finger-licking-good!
This recipe is a tweaked version of Rock Recipes chicken recipe. It can be used on chicken drumsticks, chicken wings. You could even try it on chicken tenders for a boneless option, yum!
What to Read Next:
- Chicken-Themed Weddings Are Now a Thing, Thanks to KFC
- TikTok KFC Pie Hack Blows our Minds AND our Tastebuds
- 20 Easy Chicken Recipes to Cook for that Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!