Remember how exciting it was to get a McDonald’s Happy Meal when you were a kid? You’re on a road trip and you stop for lunch and you feel like a winner because you scored a free toy to play with in the car?
Yes, those were the days before iPads and backseat entertainment systems. The days where we spent eight hours driving to our holiday destination and had NOTHING to entertain us but each other. OK, so we often tried to kill each other in the car too.
As kids, we took those McDonalds Happy Meal toys home and lined them up on our windows. We checked our friend’s stash to see if we could swap doubles. In the 1980s and 1990s we used them in imaginative play and once we even froze one in a glass in the freezer pretending it was Hans Solo.
When Happy Meals crossed over with trends such as My Little Pony, HelloKitty and Tamagotchi we nearly lost our little minds.
Well, expect all those memories to come flooding back. We’ve just heard news that McDonalds will re-release the 15 most popular Happy Meal toys to celebrate the Happy Meal’s 40th anniversary.
The promotion will run from Thursday 21st November until Wednesday 27th November.
The McDonalds Happy Meal was first released in 1979. Some of the favourite toys include the Cowboy McNugget, the Hamburger Changeable and the McDonalds Hot Wheels car.
“Happy Meal toys are nostalgic for Aussies of all ages,” Jo Feeney, Director of Marketing, McDonald’s Australia says.
“By bringing back some of the most popular toys from the last four decades, Australians can get their hands on some of their favourites from the past”.
So you can finally get your hands on the one toy your brother would NEVER let you swap for. OK, maybe that’s just me.
Which McDonalds Happy Meals Toys Will be released?
- Cowboy McNugget (McDonald’s): 1988
- Fireman McNugget (McDonald’s): 1988
- Mail Carrier McNugget (McDonald’s): 1988
- Hamburger Changeable (McDonald’s): 1989
- Grimace (McDonald’s): 1990
- Dino Happy Meal Box Changeable (McDonald’s): 1991
- McDonald’s Hot Wheels Thunderbird (Mattel): 1993
- Hamburglar (McDonald’s): 1995
- Power Rangers (Hasbro): 1995
- Space Jam Bugs Bunny (Warner Brothers): 1996
- Patti the Platypus (Ty Beanie Baby): 1997
- Tamagotchi (Bandai): 1998
- My Little Pony (Hasbro): 1998
- Furby (Hasbro): 1999
- Hello Kitty (Sanrio): 2013
- 21 Edgy Baby Names for Mums Born in the 80s
- RECIPE: Lattice Lemon Cheesecake Dessert The 80s No-Bake Classic
- Life Growing Up as an 80s Kid: Then and Now