It’s meat free Monday and I hear what you’re saying “A meat free sausage roll? Say what?”. Well yes it is. And you had BETTER believe it tastes just like the real (meat filled) deal!
I think here in Australia, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who didn’t love a sausage roll. ESPECIALLY a home made sausage roll. And now thanks to McKenzie’s, you can keep the kids (and the kids at heart) happy plus save a bit of money in making this yummy vegetarian version of the classic sausage roll.
Let’s do it!
Veggie sausage rolls recipe
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
Makes: Approx 25 pieces
- 1 cup McKenzie’s Soup Mix, rinsed
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 small head broccoli, roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaves
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan
- McKenzie’s Salt & Pepper Grinder, to taste
- 2-3 sheets puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg whisked with 1 tbs milk
- Pepitas or seed mix, for sprinkling
- Combine soup mix, garlic and rosemary in a large saucepan with 6 cups of water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain, removing rosemary sprig and allow to cool slightly.
- Place zucchini, broccoli, spring onions, basil, mint, egg and parmesan into a food processor. Pulse until a coarse texture has formed. Add cooked soup mix and pulse until well combined. Season well.
- Cut each pastry sheet into two and spoon or pipe vegetable mixture down the centre of each piece. Brush edge with egg wash and fold over to form rolls. Transfer to a lined baking tray, partially cut into each roll to make 5 pieces per roll. Brush tops with more egg wash and sprinkle with pepitas or seed mix. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
These meat free sausage rolls are amazing straight from the oven or just as delicious the next day to be eaten cold. Just don’t forget the sauce! And if you don’t think they’ll be eaten all at once, pop them in the freezer to devour later on.
Aren’t meat free Mondays awesome?!
You might also like: