Do you even NEED an excuse to down pizza for dinner on a Monday night? Of course not, but if you do – hip, hip, hooray, February 8 is National Pizza Day. Here’s a whole (pizza) box of delicious ideas to help you plan dinner!
What? A day to celebrate pizza? You little pizza-wheel ripper!
Disclaimer: There DOES seem to be some discrepancy between the 8th and the 9th of February being the right date for National Pizza Day, depending on your sources. We say go with your gut – and if you must, eat pizza both days and cover all bases. #excusethepun
2-ingredient Pizza Dough Recipe
First cab off the rank, pizza dough doesn’t have to be hard or a three-hour experience, it can be whipped into ship-shape real quick. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup of Greek or natural low-fat yoghurt
- 2 cups Self-raising flour
- Place the ingredients into a mixer and mix well. If you use a Thermomix, place the dough in the bowl and turn on knead setting for 7 minutes. If you don’t have a Thermomix or a stand mixer with dough hooks, you will need to knead by hand for approximately 10 minutes.
- Dust with flour as you go so it doesn’t stick to the surface.
- Don’t worry if it’s sticky, keep working the dough and adding flour until it becomes elastic-like.
- Once you have finished kneading, preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Roll the dough out onto baking paper, into a round shape. This dough will make one large pizza or split it for two small pizzas.
- Prick across the top of the dough lightly with a fork, being careful not to poke through the other side of the dough.
- Place the dough (still on baking paper) on an oven tray in the oven for 7 minutes, just long enough to start the cooking process and so the dough doesn’t go soggy.
- Take the base out and let cool slightly. Top with your favourite toppings!
- Pop back in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes until the top of your pizza starts to brown.
- Slice and enjoy.
Let's Talk Pizza Toppings!
This is where the controversy often starts in families – some like a LOT of stuff on their pizza and some like just cheese. There’s no wrong or right way, the heart wants what the heart wants – even with pizza.
Delicious homemade pizza toppings
Mum’s Pantry has five delicious homemade pizza topping ideas to consider. From the ‘Mediterranean surprise’ to a crowd-pleasing meat-free ‘zucchini garlic dream’. It’s a post definitely worth checking out before you settle on toppings!
There’s plenty of other awesome family pizza topping combos! Try these lip-smackers on for size:
- Garlic prawn: garlic dip as a base sauce, prawns, tomato, baby spinach and mozzarella.
- Pepperoni: keep it simple with pizza sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni.
- Supreme: pizza sauce, mozzarella, bacon, onion, beef mince, capsicum, pepperoni, mushroom and olives.
- Hawaiian: the kids’ favourite! Pizza sauce, mozzarella, ham and pineapple.
- Lamb yiros: marinated lamb, tomato, onion, garlic sauce and a sprinkle of rocket leaves.
Cheat's Airfryer Snack Pizza Hack!
If there’s no time to spare for dough making or if it’s just a quick snack or lunch for the kids you seek – this air fryer pizza hack hits the spot just nicely. Use a small wrap or tortilla, top with a few easy-peasy toppings such as pizza sauce, salami and cheese, heat through and BOOM! Pizza time! Watch TikTok’s Air Fryer Guy make one below:
@airfryerguyWho else gets kinda hungry but also not really hungry at the same time? This is the perfect snack for you! ##snack ##pizza♬ original sound – Air Fryer Guy
Let us know your favourite pizza toppings in the comments below!