Three more popular brands of child yoghurt pouches have joined the Tamar Valley food safety recall because the twist top lids pose a choking hazard to kids.
Parmalat Australia has issued a recall on three more of its pouch-style children’s yoghurts – Calci-Yum, Woolworths and Aldi Brooklea brands.
The new yoghurt pouch recall come only days after customers were warned to stop giving Tamar Valley yoghurt pouches to young children because there was a danger they might choke on the resealable lids.
Like the Tamar Valley recall, the problem lies in a packaging fault resulting in a potential choking hazard.
Lids a choking risk for kids
“Some of the mushroom style caps are failing when they are used to reseal the pouch, which may result in the top of the cap coming away. This poses a potential choking hazard due to its size,” a statement from the company says.
“This recall is related to the packaging only, not the yoghurt itself. The product is expected back on the shelf over the coming days as the faulty caps are being replaced with a new design that does not have the same issue when resealing.”
The products have been available for sale nationally at various retailers including Metcash/IGA, Foodworks, Foodland, Friendly Grocer 4 Square, Farmer Jacks, Woolworths and Aldi.
The yoghurt pouches affected under the recall include:
Calci-Yum Yoghurt 70 gram pouches
- Banana with use by dates: 21 Aug, 28 Aug, 5 Sept, 11 Sept, 18 Sept, 25 Sept, 3 Oct
- Vanilla with use by dates: 20 Aug, 28 Aug, 4 Sept, 11 Sept, 18 Sept, 25 Sept, 2 Oct
- Strawberry with use by dates: 21 Aug, 28 Aug, 5 Sept, 11 Sept, 18 Sept, 25 Sept, 3 Oct
- Fruit Salad with use by dates: 21 Aug, 28 Aug, 5 Sept, 11 Sept, 18 Sept, 25 Sept, 2 Oct
Woolworths Yoghurt 70 gram pouches
- Vanilla with use by dates: 21 Aug – 3 Oct inclusive
- Banana with use by dates: 21 Aug – 3 Oct inclusive
- Strawberry with use by dates: 21 Aug – 4 Oct inclusive
Aldi Brooklea Yoghurt Squishy Super Size 150 gram pouches
- Strawberry with use by dates: 20 Aug – to Sept inclusive
- Vanilla with use by dates: 20 Aug – to Sept inclusive
- Tropical flavours with use by dates: 20 Aug – to Sept inclusive
Consumers should return the affected pouches to their place of purchase for a refund. For more information, call Parmalat Australia’s consumer service team on 1800 676 961.