Anyone who owns an air fryer will know that while they’re completely awesome, they can also be kind of painful to clean. So it took serious GUTS to throw ice cream in it, but my ice-cream loving heart knows no bounds. A viral fried ice-cream recipe hack? You can bet we gave it a crack!
If you’re part of the Share Kmart Air Fryer Recipes Facebook group, you’ll know what I’m talking about. A member shared their (now famous) fried ice-cream ball hack and well, the rest is viral history.
A word of warning: For best (less mess) results, there is a little bit of prep work. You need to prepare 24 hours in advance, you want that ice cream ball ROCK HARD. #justsaying #stillworthit
DISCLAIMER: I did try this twice. The first time I preheated the air fryer and it was a delicious disaster. The second time, no preheat! #triedandtested
Air Fryer Fried Ice-Cream Ball Recipe
- 1 solid scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Arnott’s Milk Arrowroot biscuits, crushed
- Desiccated coconut (optional)
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Firstly, shape your ice-cream into a solid ball and put it back into the depths of the freezer for an hour. Meanwhile, combine the biscuit crumbs and desiccated coconut if using.
2. Then, take your solid and extremely frozen scoop of ice-cream and roll it in the dry ingredients. Put the coated ball back into the freezer for another hour. #patience
3. Once that hour is up, dip the ice-cream quickly into the combined egg, milk and vanilla. Then roll it in the biscuit crumb mixture. THEN BACK TO THE FREEZER FOR AN HOUR. Again. #sorry
Repeat the previous step and then let the ice-cream ball freeze overnight.
4. IT’S TIME! And because you’ve been waiting so long, it’s perfectly acceptable to eat ice-cream for breakfast. Air fry your ice cream ball for 3-4 minutes at 200 degrees (don’t preheat). You should have a wonderfully warm and crunchy, slightly golden ball with a frozen creamy centre.
WARNING: Do keep an eye on it or you’ll end up with a creamy mess!
5. Serve your air fryer fried ice-cream ball with a drizzle of your favourite syrup and dig in!
What to Read Next:
- Slow Cooker Pavlova – It Has To Be Seen To Be Believed!
- RECIPE: Cadbury’s Caramilk Martini For All The Good Cheer!
- Meat Free Mondays: Hearty Mushroom & Barley Soup