Feeling the pressure to host the party of your child’s dreams but have no idea where to start? Don’t stress mama, we’re bringing the goods in this birthday party guide that’ll help you take away the headache with what you need to know!
Even if you’ve never hosted a party before, don’t fear – we’ve even written guide to birthday party etiquette and it’s loaded full of brilliant tips and ideas so you won’t forget a thing or put a foot wrong!
Our Week by Week Birthday Party Guide to Plan the Perfect Party
6 – 8 weeks before the birthday party
- Create a guest list and choose a theme
- Choose a location (home, park, playground or party venue: check out the great ideas below!)
- Book entertainment, such as DJ, laser tag home rental, clown, magician, face painter etc.
- Book photographer and/or videographer
3 – 4 weeks to go
- Order decorations and party supplies including decorations, balloons and piñata. Don’t forget birthday candles
- Plan food and start writing a shopping list. Grab things each week you see on sale to help keep costs down
- Order cake or plan cake if you’re making one
- Think about chairs and tables. See if you can borrow some if needed
- Pick out and order invitations
2 – 3 weeks to go
- Create a timeline and checklist for party day
- Decide on party games and activities
- Think about loot bags and/or thank you gift if necessary
- Collect RSVPs and check them off against a master list
1 week to go
- Buy non-perishable food and beverages
- Call non RSVP guests
- Select party music
2 days to go
- Confirm entertainment, rentals, etc.
- Put together and arrange party favors/goodie bags
- Make extra space in the refrigerator for party food
- Clean party area and bathrooms
- Put up/together any time-intensive party decorations
- Check batteries in camera (or is fully recharged)
- Prepare any party food that will keep well
- Make sure you have candles and matches for the cake
- put away any toys or items you don’t want broken by little hands!
- Pick up cake, ice, helium balloons
- Finish decorating party area
- Put drinks on ice in tub/esky
- Setup tables and chairs etc
- Fill piñata and unpack/set up for party games
- Prepare perishable food
- Set food table
- Welcome your guests and have fun!
Check out the epic venues and birthday party ideas and suppliers we know the kids will LOVE and suppliers for all the must-have party stuff, below!
Our top birthday party picks!
Party Pick #1 – Kids jump for joy with a BOUNCE party
BOUNCE parties are fun and inclusive for kids and hassle-free for parents! BOUNCE is the party venue you know will have kids jumping for joy AND tiring them all out in the process. At BOUNCE, there’s a party for everyone from tots to tweens. BOUNCE Junior Parties (for ages 2-5), BOUNCE Classic Parties (for ages 5-8) and BOUNCE Freestyle Parties (for ages 8-12).
BOUNCE party packages include loads of awesomeness including:
- a dedicated party host to teach the kids some neat tricks and give demos
- access to a private party room
- customisable food options to fuel your crew
- official BOUNCE grip socks for everyone!
Head to the BOUNCE website to find out all the cool details and book your next birthday party TODAY! We’re sure the kids will love you for it!
PARTY PICK #2 – Crocs Playcentre birthday parties – themed fun for everyone
Croc’s Playcentre party packages can be tailored to create the most special party day of your dreams!
Choose from a range of exciting themed party rooms for kids, including super cool interactive options including a disco party, pampering party , AFL party or a baking party!
With the choice of selected food options, kids’ activities, kids’ games, parents’ platters and lots more, it’s guaranteed fun for kids – and fun for all! Your dedicated party host will take care of everything – the unlimited play, the catering – and of course, the cleaning up!
MUM CENTRAL READER OFFER: Become a Mr Croc’s Club member and receive $20 off birthday parties!
PARTY PICK #3 – Laser Tag In A Box – the ultimate hide and seek party!
Throw an army party at home! Enjoy the comforts of your own home but send your junior-sized squadron to the backyard barracks for some combat-style fun! Laser Tag in a Box lets you host the ultimate high tech hide and seek, fun laser tag game at home, hassle-free – everything you need is in the box. #COOLMUM
It’s excellent value for money too – if you book your laser tag hire for a Saturday, you get Sunday FREE – that’s a whole weekend of laser tag fun at your fingertips. SWEET!
MUM CENTRAL READER OFFER: Mention Mum Central when booking and receive a “level up” décor bonus valued at $26!
PARTY PICK #4 – A party for soccer fans!
Got a little Tim Cahill on your hands or a group of kids who just LOVE soccer? This is the party for you! Soccer Time Kids soccer coaches will take care of your child’s birthday party, delivering a party full of soccer fun, games and more. You can choose from three party packages with something for everyone.
If you’re in Melbourne and looking to outsource the entire birthday party, you can hire Sport Star Academy’s exclusive venue in Moorabbin which is a one-stop-shop including venue hire, catering, decorations and more. It’s literally party GOALS right there!
PARTY PICK #5 – Showbags for the party guests
Every birthday party needs party loot bags, right? RIGHT! Showbag World is delivering nothing but bags of fun with its huge range of showbags. From licenced characters like Batman, Spider-Man and The Avengers to the most-loved characters – The Wiggles, Frozen, Minnie Mouse and Jojo Siwa with all her bows.
Stars of the lolly aisle can be found here too, with favourites including M&Ms, Wizz Fizz and Big Boss. Every budget is catered for with inexpensive party bag options starting at just $5!
Showbag World has the BIGGEST and BEST range of showbags and will create a real WOW FACTOR for your guests! Send these to your guests before the party, perhaps even wrap them up and let the kids unwrap them in unison all at once at the party! Imagine the screams!
PARTY PICK #6 – Let there be LOTS of cake!
If it’s birthday cake you need (AND YOU WILL!), you need to get yourself to The Cheesecake Shop STAT. No worrying about finding the time to bake and decorate, let one of the cake artists at The Cheesecake Shop do it for you. Order and pick up your cake (or have it delivered) it REALLY is that easy!
There are loads of celebration cakes and party cakes to choose from (rainbows, hamburgers, chocolate!) including our favourite, the Nut-Free and Eggless Donut Cake – an awesome choice for allergy kids.
PARTY PICK #7 – Invitations, partyware and decorations
If it’s brilliant and coordinated partywares you WANT, it’s coordinated partywares you GET at The Party Cupboard. Better yet – how about having them delivered directly to your door? Save the running around from shop to shop, saving you plenty of valuable time and effort.
The Party Cupboard has everything you need from party invitations to tableware, they’ve got your balloon garland covered plus some! the most beautiful range of decorations and accessories to make your party really WOW, and you can shop by colour or theme including Batman, Shopkins and more! They really are your one-stop-shop for all your party invite and decorating needs!
PARTY PICK #8 Wibble wobble rainbow jelly!
If it’s jelly that the birthday kid requests, it’s a whole lot of awesome jelly he will receive! Check out our awesome no-bake rainbow jelly cake recipe here. Start it a couple of days in advance, set and forget until the party day arrives. Too easy!
Now that you have all the details of awesome venues and brilliant party people, be sure to check out our previous party posts for LOADS of party inspiration!