Do you have kids who can’t resist Hawaiian anything? These pineapple laden Hawaiian chicken kebabs will have them singing your praises at dinnertime, just you wait!
Marinating the chicken is key to these finger licking good kebabs. Trust me it’s an hour deliciously well spent.
Perfect for the BBQ or just the electric frying pan for a quick weeknight meal, we’re sure this recipe will become a family favourite.
Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs recipe
For the marinade
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup tamari or low-salt soy sauce
- ¼ cup tinned pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the kebabs
- 1½ tablespoons of olive oil
- 600g chicken breast, cut into 3cm pieces.
- 400g tin of pineapple rings in natural juice, each ring cut into six pieces
- 1 large green capsicum, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into 3cm pieces
- 10 skewers
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together tomato sauce, brown sugar, tamari, pineapple juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger and the sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken pieces in a zip-lock bag. Reserve half a cup of the marinade in the refrigerator. Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken and seal up the bag. Refrigerate for one hour. If using bamboo skewers, soak these in water while the meat is marinating to prevent them from burning.
- Put the red onion, capsicum and pineapple in a bowl and gently toss with a tablespoon of oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Thread the chicken and vegetables on to 10 skewers.
- Brush the barbecue plate or pan with the remaining oil and heat to medium high heat. Let cook for 4 to 5 minutes each side, basting the kebabs with the set aside marinade while cooking.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes and serve warm. Enjoy the juicy pineapple, jammy onion and tasty chicken kebabs!
See our sensational salad roundup for a delicious side dish to pair with these scrummy Hawaiian chicken kebabs!