You can’t get a more fun vegetable-laden recipe than a stuffed capsicum recipe, am I right? Fun and delicious to eat, this recipe from McKenzie’s is packed with flavour and loaded with all things including chorizo! The real hero here is McKenzie’s Pulse Plus mix – it’s a budget-friendly recipe you don’t want to miss.
Stuffed capsicum recipe the whole family will enjoy
In case you haven’t tried them roasted, capsicums take on a whole new delicious and sweet flavour profile when they’re baked. So this will be a winner with most members of the family.
A word of warning on chorizo. Some chorizo brands can really pack the heat, while some brands are milder. So if you’re not familiar with this delicious sausage, read the labels carefully. Don’t want to chance a spicy overload? You could swap it out for bacon or even a shredded BBQ chicken meat instead. Easy!
TOP TIP: Keeping your capsicums standing UP
Stuffed capsicums can be a bit of a delicate balancing act when it comes to sitting them on a baking tray. If you have a Texas muffin or large muffin tray (depending on the size of your capsicums) they can sit up nicely and avoid tipping and spilling all the delicious contents!
Deliciously easy stuffed capsicum recipe
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 350g McKenzie’s Pulse Plus – Lentils + Medium Grain Rice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 100g chorizo, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 100g feta, crumbled
- ½ cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 8 medium-sized red capsicum
- Red wine vinegar and kalamata olives (optional), for serving
- Prepare Pulse Plus mix to pack directions, by rinsing.
TIP: Pour the Pulse Plus mix into a fine-mesh sieve, rinse under a running tap, drain and set aside.
- Into a saucepan, add the rinsed Pulse Plus mix in a saucepan to four cups of water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and gently simmer for 17 minutes until the rice and lentils are just tender. Drain and rinse well. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Heat the oil in a frying pan, and add onion, chorizo, garlic and thyme. Cook until the onion is tender and transparent. Stir in the smoked paprika and combine with the Pulse Plus mix. Add in the crumbled feta and chopped parsley leaves. Season well.
- Cut the lid off the top of the capsicums and remove the seeds and membranes. Arrange the capsicums in a large baking tray (or muffin tray) and fill with the lentils and rice mixture. Drizzle the capsicums with a little olive oil, replace the tops of the capsicums and bake for 50 minutes, until the capsicums have cooked through.
- Serve stuffed capsicum with a drizzle of red wine vinegar, olives (optional) and some additional feta and parsley if desired.
This stuffed capsicum recipe is an original McKenzie’s recipe.
This year, McKenzie’s is celebrating 170 years of being an Australian pantry staple. For more recipe inspiration, download your FREE recipe ebook (just click the link!). McKenzies Pulse Plus range will be hitting the supermarket shelves this month, so keep your eyes peeled.
What do you think? Will you be trying this delicious stuffed capsicum recipe at home? If you regularly cook with pulses we’d love to hear what you make, drop your comment below to share and inspire others!