We’ve all been there. You’ve grabbed a BBQ chicken for dinner but no one actually wants just BBQ chicken and salad. So how do you transform a quick and convenient BBQ chicken into a killer dinner dish in a dash? LIKE THIS…
The BBQ chicken saves dinner… again
One WHOLE Country Style Hot Roast Chicken for $10 at Woolworths. The BBQ chicken is my go-to dinner hack when I really can’t be bothered. The cooking is done, it’s always beautifully seasoned and juicy and I can’t ask for more than that. In the trolley, it goes!
Now to make it something a whole lot more interesting…
Creamy BBQ Chicken Pasta Bake Recipe
- 250g penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g sliced mushrooms
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 BBQ chicken
- 60g baby spinach
- ½ cup sundried tomato strips (plus a few extra to serve)
- 40g packet French onion soup mix
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 2 cups grated pizza cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley and thyme sprigs to serve
1. Grease a large lasagne or baking dish. Cook the penne pasta according to the packet directions and drain.
2. Remove all the meat from the BBQ chicken and chop it roughly.
3. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the mushrooms and fresh thyme leaves. Cook until soft. Also, preheat the oven grill on high.
4. Add the chicken, French onion soup mix, spinach, sundried tomato, milk, cream and half the cheese to the mushroom mixture. Stir through and bring to a simmer. Stir in the pasta.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
6. Place it under the hot grill for a few minutes or until the cheese has turned golden. Top with fresh chopped parsley, a few extra chopped sundried tomato strips and thyme sprigs. YUM!
It’s worth noting this recipe is awesome for using up odds and ends in your veggie crisper too. You could easily add some broccoli or cauli florets, asparagus, even peas and corn.
This is a tweaked version of an original Taste recipe.