When the days are starting to feel shorter and cooler, you know we’re heading into soup season! This easy winter soup recipe from McKenzie’s is the perfect example of what we can slurp any time of the day, warming us from the inside out. Excellent for hungry teens, vegetarians and vegans there’s a sneaky McKenzie’s Pulse Plus addition to keeping everyone’s bellies fuller for longer!
McKenzie’s putting the heart in the soup pot
McKenzie’s has really added some oomph to this fantastic soup recipe by adding in peas and rice from their all-new Pulse Plus range! This brilliant addition will keep bellies feeling full for longer, making this a beautifully hearty and satisfying soup recipe for lunch or dinner. And if you thought you didn’t have time to cook pulses, think again! McKenzie’s Pulse Plus peas and long grain rice cook in just 17 minutes!
WINTER SOUP RECIPE TIP: Freeze soup in large ice cube trays like these budget-friendly Kmart Giant Ice Cube Trays for easy portion-appropriate defrosting. No need to defrost a litre of soup when you only need a cup! An excellent winter lunch meal planning idea, cook on the weekend and freeze for the week ahead. #SMART
A winter soup recipe you can mix up!
McKenzie’s advises that you can totally mix up the flavour of this soup recipe below – if pumpkin is expensive where you are, try 800g of a combination of pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot, all diced and in the pot. Yum!
Pumpkin, Turmeric & Coconut Winter Soup Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 175g McKenzie’s Pulse Plus – Peas + Long Grain Rice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4cm piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 800g pumpkin, diced
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- Finely chopped chilli, parsley and lime wedges, to serve
- Prepare the Pulse Plus mix according to pack directions, by rinsing thoroughly. TIP: Pour them into a fine-mesh sieve, rinse under a running tap, drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven pot, and stir in the onion, ginger and garlic with a wooden spoon. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion has softened and becomes transparent. Stir in the turmeric and cook for a further minute.
- Add the vegetable stock, water, pumpkin and previously rinsed Pulse Plus mix to the pot, mixing well to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes whilst stirring regularly until pumpkin and split peas are tender.
- Remove from the heat and carefully puree with a handheld stick blender.TIP: DO NOT put hot soup in a regular blender, the heat of blending soup could blow the lid off, scalding you with hot soup!
- Season the pureed soup to taste and serve between four serving bowls. Stir in some coconut cream, sprinkle with chillies, and parsley. Add some fresh lime wedges on the side to squeeze and give a fresh, zesty boost and serve. Delicious!
This is an original McKenzie’s recipe.
This year, McKenzie’s is celebrating 170 years of being an Australian pantry staple. For more recipe inspiration, download your FREE recipe ebook (just click the link!). McKenzies Pulse Plus range will be hitting the supermarket shelves this month, so keep your eyes peeled.
What do you think? Will you be trying this super easy hearty winter soup recipe at home? If you regularly cook with pulses we’d love to hear what you make, drop your comment below to share and inspire others!