Is there anything better than eating bread while it’s warm, straight from your own kitchen oven? Nope. Now you can set and forget with this slow cooker recipe. Make it in the mid-morning and it will be done just in time for the kids’ lunch on the weekend.
A recipe shared many times in various Facebook slow cooking groups, it contains no yeast, having more of a scone-like textured dough and subsequently is best eaten on the same day it’s made. Which I might add, is easily done!
Feeling extra? You can easily change up the taste on this simple slow cooker bread! Other flavour hacks to try:
- Add some drained pineapple for a Hawaiian kick
- Try a layer of BBQ sauce and sliced pepperoni for a pizza flavour
- Tomato paste and all cheese on top would be sensational
- Sliced olives, sundried tomato, cheese and basil would also be awesome
But for now, on with the bread. Slow cooker at the ready, let’s DO IT.
Slow Cooker Cheese and Bacon Bread
- 1½ cup bacon pieces
- 1½ cup of grated cheese (a mixed bag of cheese is GREAT. I love Woolworths Italian Cheese Blend)
- 2 cups Greek yoghurt
- 3 cups of self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt and pepper
1. In a large bowl, add the flour, Greek yoghurt, herbs, olive oil, water, milk and HALF the bacon and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Mix it together until it forms a dough texture. Knead it softly for two minutes.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it into an oval shape. Line the bottom of your slow cooker with baking paper and put your dough in.
TIP: Scrunch up the paper and then flatten it back out first. The paper sits much better in the bowl when you do this!
4. Flatten the dough out a little with your hand. Add the remaining bacon and cheese on top.
5. Cover the top of the slow cooker bowl with a clean tea towel and then place the lid on top. (This will catch the condensation so you won’t have soggy bread!). Cook on HIGH for 2.5 hours.
6. Transfer the loaf to an oven tray and cook under the stove grill for a few minutes to help brown the top if needed.
7. Eat while warm with a generous spread of butter and enjoy!
And there you have it, slow cooker cheese and bacon bread. Let us know what you think and if you’ll be trying any other flavour combos in the future!
What To Read Next:
- Twix Biscuits That Taste Just Like Your Fave Chocolate Bar
- 11 No-Bake Dessert Recipes To Please Your Sweet Tooth
- Feed The Whole Family with This $7.50 Kmart Sandwich Maker Dessert Hack