We all grew up with Disney Princesses. We know them, we love them, we wanted to be them.
There have been plenty of princesses to pop up on our screens. Snow White fled to the woods to live with seven little dudes back in 1937, Sleeping Beauty pricked her finger in 1959, Ariel splashed onto the scene in 1989 (I know, how old are we getting?!). Even Elsa’s been freezing castles for a solid seven years now.
But, in all this time, only one Disney princess has been black – Princess Tiana from the Princess and the Frog, which made its debut in 2009.
Well, Disney, that’s not enough.
Disney princesses reimagined
Three incredibly talented artists decided to do something about this lack of representation with their stunning Princess Series. These images are amazing, to say the least – the natural hair, the makeup, the outfits, the poses – everything about these photos shines brightly. These young women look like goddesses, not just princesses.
The Princess Series was created by hairstylist LaChanda Gatson and child photographers Kahran and Regis Bethencourt from CreativeSoul Photography. Their goal is to inspire more girls around the world to start seeing themselves as regal princesses.
We reckon they nailed it!
It’s a completely different take on the princesses that we grew up with and this is what makes them so special. While inspired by the original princesses, each girl has her own unique identity and gemstone name.
They have the entire collection for sale on their website too. Don’t they all look like goddesses? Which one is your favourite?
1. Princess Aquamarine (Ariel)
2. Princess Garnet (Snow White)
3. Princess Jade (Cinderella)
4. Princess Moonstone (Elsa)
5. Princess Rose Quartz (Aurora)
6. Princess Amethyst (Rapunzel)
7. Princess Emerald (Tiana)
8. Princess Turquoise (Jasmine)
9. Princess Onyx (Pocahontas)
10. Princess Amber (Moana)
11. Princess Diamond (Anna)
What to read next
If you love Disney princesses check out these previous photo series’ featuring even more Disney sweetness:
- Oh Em Gee The Cutest Disney Princess Babies on Instagram
- Oh Em Gee the Disney Princess Babies Are ALL Grown Up
- Dad Treats Daughter to Disney Photoshoot and it’s All Sorts of Wonderful
- This Mother & Daughter Take Disney Dress Ups to a Whole New Level!