Looking for the perfect baby name but not sure what it is yet? You want something vintage but original, something that’s not on the top 100 baby name list and that comes with a cute meaning. Perhaps something to honour your heritage, your child’s birth month, or even a miscarriage before you were blessed with a baby?
You’ve come to the right place, my friends, because this is the place where ALL baby names live. Some are sweet, some are strong, some are strange, and probably not worth adding to your list (but definitely worth a giggle). Whatever you’re after, you’ll find it on our baby name lists.
Take your time, peruse through the thousands of names your leisure and good luck in your hunt for your perfect baby name. It’s a big decision!
The Most Popular Names
Let’s start the search for your perfect baby name with the most popular baby name lists of the past few years. Many parents are concerned that their faves are also everyone else’s faves and their child might end up in a classroom with five other kids with the same name. #happensallthetime.
Here’s what other parents are naming their kids.
- In 2020: Australia Baby Names 2020: Top 200 Names for 2020 Revealed
- In 2019: What Are We Naming Our Babies? Top 100 Baby Names of 2019
- In 2018: The Most Popular Australian Baby Names for 2018 Revealed
- In 2017: 100 Most Popular Baby Names in Australia For 2017
- Most popular middle names: Can You Guess the Most Popular Middle Names of 2019?
The Trending Names
Another important thing to consider when naming your baby is whether it’s quickly becoming a favourite.
Names like Ezra, Arlo, Theo, Archie, Luna, Millie and Aria, for example, aren’t in the top 10, but they are becoming more and more popular every year. Below are a few names that experts predict will be big this year.
- 32 Baby Names That Will Skyrocket in Popularity in 2020
- Baby Name Expert Predicts the 10 Names to Watch
- Baby Due Soon? Here are the Predicted Top Baby Names of 2020
- The Names of the Best and Worst Behaved Kids of 2020
- Unfashionable Baby Names: The Names That Have Officially Gone Out of Style
2020: The year of Covid (and Covyds)
There’s no denying the elephant in the room when it comes to 2020 … we’re looking at you COVID! We see you, and, as expected, the global pandemic has played a massive role in baby names as well.
- In Nine Month’s Time, Please Don’t Choose These Coronavirus-Inspired Names
- 25 Baby Names Trending Since COVID-19 and 12 Names Parents Are Ditching
Mum Central’s picks for baby names
Everyone has different tastes when it comes to baby names but below are a few that we especially love over at Mum Central. Do you agree?
- What’s in a Name? Our Best Baby Names of all Time
- 100 Beautiful Baby Names for Your Bub
- 50 Adorable Baby Names for the Next Generation of Trendsetting Tots
And our picks for the weirdest names out there
You can’t have a baby name bible and NOT include these bizarre baby names. Definitely worth a read and a giggle!
- Banned at Birth: The Baby Names That Don’t Make the Cut
- Sorry, Your Baby’s Name is What? 38 Strange Baby Names
- The Made-Up Baby Names You Have to Hear to Believe
- The Very Best in Bogan Baby Names
- When Baby Names Go Bad: The Top Most Unusual Baby Names
Names inspired by…
If you want to name your baby something with meaning, below are a few baby name lists that may help you decide.
Grandparents: Vintage baby names
Such as Millie, Violet, Hattie, Winnie, Theo, Harvey, Artie and Vinnie.
- Vintage Baby Names – Here’s 25 Adorable Names No One is Using (Yet)
- 100 Baby Names from 100 Years Ago Worth Reviving
Royals: Regal baby names
Such as George, Victoria, Arthur, Amelia and Frederick.
Nature: Names inspired by plants, food, animals and bodies of water
Such as Lyric, Everest, Avalon, Bronte, Poppy and Bodhi.
Rock Stars and a love of rock and roll
Such as Zepplin, Hendrix, Lennon, Florence, Stevie and Diesel
Disney characters: A whole new world of cute baby names
Such as Flynn, Jessie, Nala, Cleo, Felix and Hera.
Alcohol: Name your bub after your favourite tipple, if you dare!
Such as Stella, Summer, Syrah, Hunter, Jameson and Jager.
The 80s: Calling all Coreys!
Such as Jovi, River, Kylie, Dylan, Bastain, Milo and Sloane.
Footy: Love AFL or NRL? ‘Try’ these names
Such as Easton, Maverick, Kade, Tristan and Korbin.
Your child’s birth month and seasons
Such as August, Wynter, Emmy, Luna, Holly and Archer.
- Beautiful Baby Names Based on Your Child’s Birth Month
- Due in December? These Festive Christmas Baby Names Will Jingle Your Bells
- Easter Baby Names Inspired by the Season
Loss or stillbirth: Rainbow baby names
A rainbow baby is a baby born after a loss (miscarriage, stillbirth or terminated for medical reasons) and a popular way to honour your lost baby within your next child’s name. Such as Iris, Mira, Chance and Mia.
Geography: Names that hit home
Such as Tasman, Logan, Bowen, Victor, Jarrah and Tilly.
Naming in general
- 10 things to do before you name your baby
- Baby name tribes: Which one do you belong to?
- Should you let a sibling name the baby?
- Baby name regret: the surprising names parents regret using
Real-life naming stories
Get some inspiration from these interesting name choices. Parents in the past have chosen to name their kids after hurricanes, pasta, breakfast food and Halloween. And, check out Usain Bolt’s baby’s name – GOLD!
- Baby Name Blunder: Parents Accidentally Name Kid After Popular Pasta
- French Couple Sent to Court For Naming Their Baby Liam
- This Couple Just Welcomed Their 14th Son; and Wait, They Named Him WHAT?
- Baby Name Gold: Usain Bolt’s Daughter’s Name Wins the Internet
- Is This the Oddest Baby Name You’ve Ever Heard?
- This Dad Just Named His Baby Girl After a Popular Breakfast Food
- Parents Choose the Perfect Name for Their Hurricane Rescue Baby
- Family Welcomes Baby Frankenstein Born on Halloween
We hope our baby name lists help you uncover the perfect name for your little one.
We’d love to hear your choice in the comments below.